• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The things they say

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The things they say

Thanks to the traitors at the guardian for reminding up of those heady optimistic days.

11 Brexit promises the government quietly dropped

Leaving aside the £350m for the NHS, Brexit has promised quick and easy trade deals with the EU and the rest of the world, an end to ECJ jurisdiction and free movement, and British control of North Sea fishing. None of this has come to pass. Here are 11 key abandoned claims

Promise
    Brexit will be easy, and have no downsides Brexit will be easy, and have no downsides

There will be no downside to Brexit, only a considerable upside

David Davis
    10 October 2016

The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want

Michael Gove
    9 April 2016

Getting out of the EU can be quick and easy – the UK holds most of the cards

John Redwood
    July 17 2016

The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history
    Liam Fox
    20 July 2017

Reality
    David Davis now says: ‘Nobody has ever pretended this will be easy. I have always said this negotiation will be tough, complex and at times confrontational’
    Plenty more fun at https://www.theguardian.com/politics...uietly-dropped

At the end it will be easier to list the promises that were kept.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      At the end it will be easier to list the promises that were kept.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

This is another good bit.

Promise
          The UK did not need a transition deal and would not be subject to EU rules or budgets during one

We're not really interested in a transition deal, but we'll consider one to be kind to the EU

David Davis
          15 November 2016

The idea that we’ll do a transitional arrangement where you’re still in, paying money, still with free movement of people – that we’ll do the long-term deal in slow motion … That is plainly not what we’re after

David Davis
          15 March 2016

We made it clear that control of our own borders was one of the elements we wanted in the referendum, and unregulated free movement [during transition] would seem to me not to keep faith with that decision

Liam Fox
          30 July 2016

Reality
          The UK will have to abide by all EU rules and regulations including those agreed by members states during the 21-month transition

Article 123 (7) During the transition period, where draft Union acts identify or refer directly to specific Member State authorities, procedures, or documents, the United Kingdom shall be consulted by the Union on such drafts with a view to ensuring the proper implementation and application of that act by and in the United Kingdom.

Comment

Another illustration of the UK's bargaining power.

Promise
            Free movement would come to an end on 29 March 2019; any EU citizens arriving after that date would be subject to a different immigration regime Free movement would come to an end on 29 March 2019; any EU Free movement would come to an end on 29 March 2019; any EU citizens arriving after that date would be subject to a different immigration regime

It is a simple matter of fact that the four key principles of the European Union include free movement – we won’t be a member of the European Union when we leave

Brandon Lewis
            27 July 2017

Free movement will end in March 2019

Government spokesperson
            July 31 2017

I’m clear that there is a difference between those people who come prior to us leaving and those who will come when they know the UK is no longer a member

Theresa May
            1 February 2017

Reality
            Free movement continues, the only difference being a registration system for newcomers

Even May's commitment that arrivals after Brexit day would be treated differently was abandoned in the negotiations. EU citizens arriving in Britain before the end of the transition period will be treated as before.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              The Daily Express have a great headline on this:

Immigration BETRAYAL: UK to make it EASIER for EU migrants to stay in Britain after Brexit

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                I see the Brexiters avoid threads like this ... maybe they don't want to hear the fact that the lies they were promised were just that, lies, and that even the leave side in this sad government don't even believe they can deliver Brexit. It was all based on lies, they never expected to win, and when they did the reality that they have to try and deliver something suddenly hit home.

Their failure is epic, yet still the fanboys salivate at the lies they heard 2 years ago and still believe all the guff. I wonder at what point will reality finally hit the Brexiters?
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  I see the Brexiters avoid threads like this ... maybe they don't want to hear the fact that the lies they were promised were just that, lies, and that even the leave side in this sad government don't even believe they can deliver Brexit. It was all based on lies, they never expected to win, and when they did the reality that they have to try and deliver something suddenly hit home.

Their failure is epic, yet still the fanboys salivate at the lies they heard 2 years ago and still believe all the guff. I wonder at what point will reality finally hit the Brexiters?
                  I am sure they will throw some toys out the pram,while the certain loss of trade due mostly to another 2 and a half years of uncertainty take its toll, I would look at going to work in the EU. UK contractors are well respected there and although you do have to pay a lot more tax you wont be doing 14 hour days and wont have to worry about IR35.

Come back in a few years when they are sweeping up the molotov cocktails.
                  Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Working...
                  X