• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blue passports

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I don't care about who makes my passport as long as the following remain truly British.

British Airways
    Cadbury
    Mini
    Jaguar
    HP Sauce
    House of Fraser
    Sarson's Vinegar
    Branston Pickle
    Walkers Crisps
    Newcastle Brown Ale
    London Buses
    Tetley Tea
    Thames Water
    Man U FC
    etc etc

Makes yer proud 'innit?
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      That's because we are still in the EU and under EU rules have to tender the job across EU countries. I expect when we fully leave we will not renew that contract as we will be FREE to do whatever we like, like give it to a US company because someone in the govt is a big shareholder there.
      I suggest you read the EU-Canada trade agreement (The preferred option for Brexiters) All public procurement in Canada must now be open to EU firms. Sorry little England mob but this really really is 2018 not 1818

Comment

Blue passports

Originally posted by chopper View Post
        It's nothing to do with EU rules, but all about WTO rules. And we know Brexiters are very pro-WTO rules, so its all OK.
        Correct, it’s WTO rules on public procurement. They don’t apply to in-house government manufacturing which is why the French still make their own, but the Tories in their drive to privatise services have only themselves to blame by outsourcing the manufacture to public tender.

Brexiters will still be sucked in by the Daily Mail dog whistle though, facts are not their strong point.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          Correct, it’s WTO rules on public procurement. They don’t apply to in-house government manufacturing which is why the French still make their own, but the Tories in their drive to privatise services have only themselves to blame by outsourcing the manufacture to public tender.

Brexiters will still be sucked in by the Daily Mail dog whistle though, facts are not their strong point.

That is a nice little front page to get the gammons into their morning two minutes hate.

Comment

This passport business is such a load of old bollocks and in particular being stirred up by the right wing patriotic press. For a start the company, Gemalto, who have possibly been awarded the contract actually have 5 locations in the UK where they could easily print the passports, De La Rue, if they had got the contract may well have decided to print them at one of their plants in Kenya, Sri Lanka and Malta. Possibly if De La Rue had won the contract due to jingoism then they should stop printing all the banknotes and passports for the other foreign countries that they do and as for the 'Global Britain' that Brexiteers keep banging on about, then surely this is a sign of an 'Insular Protectionist Britain'?
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

The main reason why this had to go out to tender is in fact due to the Tories. Back before 1996, passports and other like documents were printed by HMSO but in the age of privatisation, that was one of the agencies that they sold off. Interestingly one of the major stakeholders of Williams Lea is in fact Deutsche Post who print Hansard and other government documents
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Going back in time to the 'Buy British' campaign

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post

Today the Mash has a question for Britain’s babies in hats: Why DO you hate our country, its history, culture and the people’s sense of identity?

Comment

Comment

FFS is this stupidity still going on?
                      I have a solution.
                      Why don't the Daily Fail readers and Wrexiters in general pay a special surcharge to make up the extra 120 million it will cost to have the passports printed in the UK?
                      Everyone's happy then
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X