• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT changes after Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    25 adverts on that page and I must allow them if I want to see.

I've now googled and found that it is based on:

Property rights, innovation, taxes, technological readiness, corruption, infrastructure, market size, political risk, quality of life, workforce, freedom (personal, trade and monetary), red tape and investor protection.

The UK scored particularly well on technological readiness and the size and education of its workforce.
    From: https://inews.co.uk/news/forbes-name...t-uncertainty/
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      So in your estimation, the 70% of retailers represented by the British Retail Consortium are anti-BREXIT media organisations?
      No. In my estimation, major importers will be lobbying the government to ensure their voices are heard and so that any taxes changes are in their favour. In exactly the same way as all vested interest groups lobby government.

As I said, from reading the articles, it's all speculation and noise. The only reason it appeared in the media is because it has the word "BREXIT" attached to it. The only reason it appeared as the lead in a thread here is because it has "BREXIT" attached to it.

Compare it to the current on-going consultation to implement the public sector IR35 reforms within the private sector. A Google search for "VAT" returns a list of stories from mainstream media organisations. A Google search for "IR35" does not.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        25 adverts on that page and I must allow them if I want to see.
        Well, they've got to make some income somehow to pay for the journalists. Surely you don't begrudge them that?

Comment

No. In my estimation, major importers will be lobbying the government to ensure their voices are heard and so that any taxes changes are in their favour. In exactly the same way as all vested interest groups lobby government.

As I said, from reading the articles, it's all speculation and noise. The only reason it appeared in the media is because it has the word "BREXIT" attached to it. The only reason it appeared as the lead in a thread here is because it has "BREXIT" attached to it.

Compare it to the current on-going consultation to implement the public sector IR35 reforms within the private sector. A Google search for "VAT" returns a list of stories from mainstream media organisations. A Google search for "IR35" does not.
          That sounds remarkably "have cake it and eat it"

UK has decided to leave the EU therefore all the bureaucratic "sh*t" that businesses have to deal with when importing/exporting will apply to EU imports and exports, and anyone who thinks that there will be some sort of special EU deal needs to go to the Swiss and Turkish border and look at the huge queues of lorries.

I used to drive past a queue of lorries several km long every time I drove in and out of Switzerland, and the queue was stationary, I rarely saw the queue actually move when I was driving past it.

I only mail ordered a couple of times to a German website from Switzerland before I completely gave up, simply because the even small deliveries got stuck for days in Swiss customs.

Have no doubt, the UK will be requiring huge lorry parks, and businesses will have huge delays and huge amounts of paperwork to sort out.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            What has that list got to do with small businesses and VAT?
            Quite right. BG @ 42 but it does have have flat rate tax and corp tax of 10%. Business rates are 90% less than the UK. There is a reason why HP moved to Sofia, and it's not just about salaries.

I have too many friends on the UK High Street struggling with business rates. eg. There is on small shop that has been in business for 30 years, his business rates are over £12,000... per month!
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              That sounds remarkably "have cake it and eat it"

UK has decided to leave the EU therefore all the bureaucratic "sh*t" that businesses have to deal with when importing/exporting will apply to EU imports and exports, and anyone who thinks that there will be some sort of special EU deal needs to go to the Swiss and Turkish border and look at the huge queues of lorries.

I used to drive past a queue of lorries several km long every time I drove in and out of Switzerland, and the queue was stationary, I rarely saw the queue actually move when I was driving past it.

I only mail ordered a couple of times to a German website from Switzerland before I completely gave up, simply because the even small deliveries got stuck for days in Swiss customs.

Have no doubt, the UK will be requiring huge lorry parks, and businesses will have huge delays and huge amounts of paperwork to sort out.
              There is a huge difference between Switzerland and the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                There may or may not be queues. It's far too early to state that definitively. I'll put my money on there not being any, regardless of the outcome of the negotiations.

And if there are delays, then it will be on both sides of the borders. If there's a requirement for lorry parks in Dover then there'll be an equal requirement for them in Calais too.

Comment

There may or may not be queues. It's far too early to state that definitively. I'll put my money on there not being any, regardless of the outcome of the negotiations.

And if there are delays, then it will be on both sides of the borders. If there's a requirement for lorry parks in Dover then there'll be an equal requirement for them in Calais too.
                  The government is going to spend millions on huge lorry parks, because there will be huge queues.

Government plans to build huge Lorry parks to cope with the huge queues

Yes there will be huge delays on both sides.

For finished products such as bottles of Prosecco the wait is not too big a problem, for integrated supply chains it will mean moving some operations into the EU.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Nice quote from Michael Heseltine about the Brexiteers urging Philip Hammond to build lorry parks.

The customs parks they want him to build could become the cemeteries of British trade interests in which the lorries park and wait.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

No need for lorry parks if there’s nobody licensed to drive them...

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites...-transport.pdf

(Yes, I’m well aware that this will probably be sorted out before Brexit, but it will take a lot of work by either Government or hauliers - or both. The point of both this post and the OP is to highlight increased bureaucracy under Brexit, which is the opposite of what was claimed pre-referendum. Ease of doing business in the U.K. is only going to get worse, not better. If only we had excruciatingly detailed impact assessments that set all of this out....)

Comment

Working...
                      X