• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear: New Election coming soon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    More important then the Ireland border will be the border with Gibraltar, where 95% of the population voted to remain.
    Currently there is a border with checks, but before that there was just a fence, people had to travel to Africa first and then come back by boat. Most bookies have their HQ's in Gib and their staff lives mainly across the border in Spain., this is going to be even more fun.
    Gibraltar is tulip out of luck because they don't have 10 MPs to prop up the Tory Scum...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      You actually think the DUP will vote against the Torys?
      Yes, they already have done at least once...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        My guess, the former. Either that or May is properly stupid.
        Dust is still settling, but it seems that the answer is "May is properly stupid".

It appears that the EU tried to bounce her into agreement via the briefing about a deal being near (which Downing Street was playing down all morning). No surprises there. But it seems as though May hadn't really agreed any compromise language with the DUP and thought she could bounce them in turn. FFS, has she observed nothing about how the DUP operates? They're not weak and wobbly like May.

(Personally, on the substance, I wouldn't be against an all-UK solution that allowed for some regulatory convergence on areas that are directly relevant to the GFA, with the option of divergence in all other areas. That should square the circle with the DUP, assuming backbench Tories could sign up and the EU were willing. However, it seems as though May's MO of deferring any substantive discussion and "hoping for the best" has got her into trouble again).

Comment

Totally agree with this random quote from Twit.

Utter chaos in Brussels. Part of the problem is one side (Brussels) briefed and the other side didn't and made no attempt to counter-brief.
          That allowed the DUP, SNP, Welsh Labour to attack deal before it knew UK version.

Comment

The UK and EU have failed to reach an agreement to move to the next stage of Brexit talks, Theresa May has said.

The talks are understood to have broken down after the DUP refused to accept concessions on the Irish border issue.

UK and EU fail to strike Brexit talks deal - BBC News

Comment

There's a bit more of this to come, so...
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I think that the DUP wanted a hard border all along, they just couldn’t say it publicly.

Pushing Leave made this impasse inevitable.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  I think that the DUP wanted a hard border all along, they just couldn’t say it publicly.

Pushing Leave made this impasse inevitable.
                  Given what they've been saying today, I think you may well be right. Some circles were never meant to be squared...
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    Totally agree with this random quote from Twit.
                    As another twit put it, NI wants no regulatory divergence. Except on abortion and gay marriage, obviously....

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                      As another twit put it, NI wants no regulatory divergence. Except on abortion and gay marriage, obviously....
                      Good point, well made.

Comment

Working...
                      X