• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear: New Election coming soon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    No election, not on that issue anyway. I suspect Scotland may end up in a similar kind of half out status as well.
    There won't be a half-out status for precisely that reason. London will want it, sasguru will want it, Mandleslime's aunt Martha will want it.

My guess is that the EU has over-briefed to make it more difficult for May to walk. Ultimately, though, she won't agree to anything on which the DUP is not fully signed up, which implies some fudge surrounding the meaning of "regulatory alignment" (much easier to agree than "no regulatory divergence"). This was always going to happen to get through to Phase II, where the real decisions are going to be made about CETA, EEA or WTO. The Irish gov't is basically looking for some face saving measure that doesn't require them to implode the talks at this stage and increase the probability of WTO, which they definitely don't want.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Understood. But would they go as far as voting with a motion of no-confidence? They really hate Labour.

I am not an expert on this. Just curious......
      I think they'd abstain from that but happily vote against them over Brexit and trigger a No Confidence vote subsequently.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        The Irish gov't is basically looking for some face saving measure that doesn't require them to implode the talks at this stage and increase the probability of WTO, which they definitely don't want.
        I thought the EU held all the cards?

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
          (Source: UK and EU 'appear close to Brexit breakthrough' - BBC News )

I don't even see how that could work, without the SNP kicking off (they'd rather like the same deal as an NI in the single market) and without a return to the troubles?
          It won't.

You need to separate briefing from reality, because briefing serves a purpose.

Comment

DUP fear Corbyn more as he was sympathetic to the IRA cause.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              There won't be a half-out status for precisely that reason. London will want it, sasguru will want it, Mandleslime's aunt Martha will want it.

My guess is that the EU has over-briefed to make it more difficult for May to walk. Ultimately, though, she won't agree to anything on which the DUP is not fully signed up, which implies some fudge surrounding the meaning of "regulatory alignment" (much easier to agree than "no regulatory divergence"). This was always going to happen to get through to Phase II, where the real decisions are going to be made about CETA, EEA or WTO. The Irish gov't is basically looking for some face saving measure that doesn't require them to implode the talks at this stage and increase the probability of WTO, which they definitely don't want.
              Plus, I suspect the "regulatory alignment" will itself emphasize Ireland as a "special case" in the narrowest possible terms (again, something that was always going to happen), in order to retain those aspects that are necessary to preserve the GFA. It should be clear when/if the EU releases their report on what has been agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
                DUP fear Corbyn more as he was sympathetic to the IRA cause.
                Korbyn has supported all sorts of extremist nonsense. Has he changed?

Though I am sure Buckingham Palace will be turned into a drain cover museum after PhilTheGreek and the hangers on are executed....

Comment

Nigel Farage sums the deal up nicely:

Farage blasts PM's climbdown on Northern Ireland
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    Nigel Farage sums the deal up nicely:

Farage blasts PM's climbdown on Northern Ireland
                    Agreeing with Farage and the Express?

All we need now is blessing from POTUS.

Comment

Sounds like this is the relevant text.

In absence of agreed solutions UK will ensure that there is continued regulatory alignment from those rules of internal market and customs union which, now or in the future, support North South co-operation and protection of the Good Friday agreement
                      If so, this is a million miles away from conceding "no regulatory divergence" in NI or conceding regulatory convergence in the UK more generally.

Again, if true, this is a classic and entirely predictable fudge from all sides.

Now onto the Phase II fun...

Comment

Working...
                      X