• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SPD considering supporting Merkel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPD considering supporting Merkel

Brexit hardliner Schulz might be entering into government with Merkel.

Martin Schulz would seem to be the U.K.’s worst nightmare. A die-hard federalist who never hid his antipathy for Britain’s anti-EU faction in the European Parliament
    SPD considering supporting the CDU in Germany

He certainly won't be cutting the UK any slack as the Greens or FDP might have done.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 23 November 2017, 15:15.
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Brexit hardliner Schulz might be entering into government with Merkel.

SPD considering supporting the CDU in Germany

He certainly won't be cutting the UK any slack as the Greens or FDP might have done.
    FDP are the liberal party very pro EU and so are the Greens. Only UKIP's sisterparty the AfD are kind of anti EU and not even that much

Comment

A die-hard federalist who never hid his antipathy for Britain
      Someone else tried that in 1939, remind me what happened...
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        Selective quotation of the day award. Well done, Sir!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Selective quotation of the day award. Well done, Sir!
          One aims to please, but unfortunately I usually just piss on the floor...
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

One aims to please, but unfortunately I usually just piss on the floor...
            You are thick as mince, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              You are thick as mince, so don't be too hard on yourself.
              And you are as sweet and lovely as ever, and I shall be as hard as I like, unlike most of your clients...

Comment

Do you mean who I think you mean? If so...

Prior to 1938, while Hitler tried to court Britain into an alliance, his propaganda praised the British as proficient Aryan imperialists.
                Initially, the aim of Nazi foreign policy was to create an Anglo-German alliance, so before 1938, Nazi propaganda tended to glorify British institutions, and above all the British Empire. Even regarding it, along with France, as "decadent democracies", Goebbels set out to court them.

Typical of the Nazi admiration for the British Empire were a lengthy series of articles in various German newspapers throughout the mid-1930s praising various aspects of British imperial history, with the clear implication that there were positive parallels to be drawn between British empire-building in the past and German empire-building in the future. The esteem in which the British Empire was held can be gauged by the fact that the lavish adoration heaped upon Britain's empire was not matched by similar coverage of other empires both past and present. An example of this sort of coverage was a long article in the Berliner Illustriete Zeitung newspaper in 1936 extolling the British for "brutally" resolving the Fashoda crisis of 1898 in their favour with no regard for diplomatic niceties. Another example of Nazi anglophilia included a series of widely promoted biographies and historical novels commemorating various prominent "Aryan" figures from British history such as Cromwell, Marlborough, Nelson, Rhodes, Wellington, and Raleigh.

A particular theme of praise was offered for British “ruthlessness” in building and defending their empire, which was held as a model for the Germans to follow. Above all, the British were admired as an “Aryan” people who had with typical “ruthlessness” subjected millions of brown- and black skinned people to their rule, and British rule in India was held up as a model for how the Germans would rule Russia, through as the historian Gerwin Strobl pointed out that this parallel between German rule in Russia and British rule in India was only made possible by the Nazis’ ignorance of how the British actually ruled India.

Perhaps more importantly for gauging the Nazi regime's pro-British feelings in its early years was the prominence given to Englandkunde (English studies) within German schools and the lavish praise offered to British youth organizations as a model within the Hitler Youth.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Do you mean who I think you mean? If so...
                  The admiration was mutual.

Comment

The UK borrowed and borrowed followed by a depression.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X