• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No deal Brexit fears overblown, says JD Wetherspoon boss

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No deal Brexit fears overblown, says JD Wetherspoon boss

"Tim Martin takes a swipe at Sainsbury’s and Whitbread claiming British firms are not facing a ‘cliff edge’ and his pub chain is ready to leave the EU now (AtW's comment: that settles that then, we can leave tomorrow...)

JD Wetherspoon is ready to leave the EU without a transition deal and the idea that firms are facing a dangerous “cliff edge” is overblown and untrue, according to the pub chain’s chairman.

Tim Martin said warnings from companies such as Sainsbury’s and Whitbread about the risks of a “no deal” Brexit were “factually incorrect and highly misleading”.

“The misinformation from directors and trade organisations seems to be designed to support the view that staying in the EU for an additional two years is necessary to avoid a ‘cliff edge’,” Martin said.

“There is no cliff edge. Wetherspoon is ready now to leave the EU, since almost no preparation is required – as is almost certainly the case for Sainsbury’s and Whitbread, and the vast majority of companies,” he added."

https://www.theguardian.com/business...therspoon-boss

I wish I could invent stuff this good.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      "Tim Martin takes a swipe at Sainsbury’s and Whitbread claiming British firms are not facing a ‘cliff edge’ and his pub chain is ready to leave the EU now (AtW's comment: that settles that then, we can leave tomorrow...)

JD Wetherspoon is ready to leave the EU without a transition deal and the idea that firms are facing a dangerous “cliff edge” is overblown and untrue, according to the pub chain’s chairman.

Tim Martin said warnings from companies such as Sainsbury’s and Whitbread about the risks of a “no deal” Brexit were “factually incorrect and highly misleading”.

“The misinformation from directors and trade organisations seems to be designed to support the view that staying in the EU for an additional two years is necessary to avoid a ‘cliff edge’,” Martin said.

“There is no cliff edge. Wetherspoon is ready now to leave the EU, since almost no preparation is required – as is almost certainly the case for Sainsbury’s and Whitbread, and the vast majority of companies,” he added."

https://www.theguardian.com/business...therspoon-boss
      He's doing a good job playing to his Brexit voting, xenophobic, pint of wife-beater, customer base.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

maybe he really believes the economy will crash and we will all turn to drink?

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          He's doing a good job playing to his Brexit voting, xenophobic, pint of wife-beater, customer base.
          Until they run out of disposable income post Brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            maybe he really believes the economy will crash and we will all turn to drink?

I think he has already turned to drink
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

as i said in another thread, the man is an utter dick.

a rich dick,

but, still, - a dick

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                I wish I could invent stuff this good.
                Indeed you could get a job on Project Fear!

Let me see

1. Brexit will cause Rabies & bubonic plague. - Because the EU has significant experience in Rabies & Plague meaning leaving the EU we could be unprepared for such infections.

2. Brexit will mean your sister will be the next immaculate conception - A french philosophy student will use Brexit as an excuse to get laid... of course your sister will be too embarrassed to admit sleeping with a Frenchman, of course a Belgian would be just as embarrassing.

etc.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Indeed you could get a job on Project Fear!

Let me see

1. Brexit will cause Rabies & bubonic plague. - Because the EU has significant experience in Rabies & Plague meaning leaving the EU we could be unprepared for such infections.

2. Brexit will mean your sister will be the next immaculate conception - A french philosophy student will use Brexit as an excuse to get laid... of course your sister will be too embarrassed to admit sleeping with a Frenchman, of course a Belgian would be just as embarrassing.

etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X