• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The more sinister side of Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Your error in logic is assuming that the youth want all that stuff for free.
    I think they're willing to work for it, but you can be very successful and hard working and not afford a house in the SE.
    If you substitute "youth" with "Brexiters" though you're spot on, according to some on here.
    Take a look at http://blog.ted.com/6-studies-of-money-and-the-mind/

It is common enough for people in Simon's position to tend towards thinking that people end up in the position they deserve, and then behaving accordingly.

Comment

Your error in logic is assuming that the youth want all that stuff for free.
      I think they're willing to work for it, but you can be very successful and hard working and not afford a house in the SE.
      If you substitute "youth" with "Brexiters" though you're spot on, according to some on here.
      No, I didn't assume they wanted all that for free, but what you mean I think is that they would like it at a discount to the market value. That being the case, someone else will be paying for it. Therefore, the Govt is going to have to force someone to pay for someone else "wants". Of course, nothing intrinsically wrong with that when you talk about basic necessities (food, basic shelter etc), but when it comes to having a decent house in an area they particularly fancy, and a job with the sort of wage they would really like and good prospects and so on, then this has gone too far. Is it desirable to have everyone having all these things? Of course it is. Is it achievable by forcing someone else to pay for it, no.
      P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Take a look at http://blog.ted.com/6-studies-of-money-and-the-mind/

It is common enough for people in Simon's position to tend towards thinking that people end up in the position they deserve, and then behaving accordingly.
        That article really is bollocks. Sorry but:

Finding #4: Rich people are more likely to ignore pedestrians

If that's the best you can do.....

Let me ask you a question. Do you think that on the whole, generally speaking, ignoring outliers, people do actually end up in something like the position they deserve, or is it all just chance?

Comment

Originally posted by simondolan View Post
          No, I didn't assume they wanted all that for free, but what you mean I think is that they would like it at a discount to the market value. That being the case, someone else will be paying for it. Therefore, the Govt is going to have to force someone to pay for someone else "wants". Of course, nothing intrinsically wrong with that when you talk about basic necessities (food, basic shelter etc), but when it comes to having a decent house in an area they particularly fancy, and a job with the sort of wage they would really like and good prospects and so on, then this has gone too far. Is it desirable to have everyone having all these things? Of course it is. Is it achievable by forcing someone else to pay for it, no.
          The market it broken, in part by constraints put on it by government, such as green belt planning restrictions. It is achievable without 'forcing someone else to pay for it' if this is addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            The market it broken
            Sadly true.

However it will get much more broken.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Sadly true.

However it will get much more broken.
              Agreed.

Comment

Agreed.
                Sadly the only way young people can ghet ahead is to borrow every penny they can any invest in bitcoin. And get out before the crash.

Comment

Let me ask you a question. Do you think that on the whole, generally speaking, ignoring outliers, people do actually end up in something like the position they deserve, or is it all just chance?
                  It's a silly question and indicative that people need more education in statistics.
                  Of course chance is the biggest component of success.
                  It starts with birth.
                  You get born with a decent IQ in a rich country.
                  Immediately, with no effort on your part, you're in the top 5-10% of the world.
                  There are, statistically, at least a few hundred million people in the world with above average intelligence and an impressive work ethic who will never make it.

BUt if you're asking if there are very many lazy people in this country with a sense of entitlement, you're right, there are.
                  And they all voted Brexit.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Tories siding with Corbyn to thwart Brexit

Lets face it the UK isn't really going to leave the EU and the EU know it. Most MP's are cheering for Barnier.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Yes of course the whole Remain argument comes from the Treasury
                      There are no business people in the City, manufacturing and trade organisations like the SMMT and Rolls Royce etc etc who are concerned.

This current campaign by Brexiters to discredit Hammond and the Treasury is obviously not motivated by anything except the truth.
                      Really you're on another level of stupid, vulnerable to the smallest whiff of propaganda that conforms to your brainfarts.
                      I have worked with the Treasury thanks very much. They are exactly as that article describes them. The same points that I have mentioned and linked to have also been openly stated by other MP's namely that the treasury is a bunch of kids with no collective corporate memory. They have no rigorous auditing of their outputs and absolutely no intention of admitting to failures. They are unchecked and the last bunch of people on the planet you should be listening to for wealth creation tips.

Now fook off abroad and stop moaning about the things you have no hope of controlling.

Comment

Working...
                      X