• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The more sinister side of Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Now you'll make him take his socks and shoes off again..................

you see Shaun you can do clever humour when you put your mind to it

good job

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      you see Shaun you can do clever humour when you put your mind to it

good job

Milan.
      P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        I was trying to find a graph that shows exactly that.
        Unfortunately happiness cannot be quantified so is not a useful measure of anything.
        Perhaps that is why undefinable and subjective things like "happiness" and "contentment" are used in the argument.....?

Comment

Originally posted by simondolan View Post
          Perhaps that is why undefinable and subjective things like "happiness" and "contentment" are used in the argument.....?
          Lord Kelvin quotation.

"I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind."
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Lord Kelvin quotation.

"I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind."
            Nice - I shall have to learn that one.

Comment

Straw man argument rather than extrapolation, but taking that into account - what examples can you give of the assertion you made that countries with less disparity between rich and poor (which remember is always relative) are indeed "happier" or "more content"
              Obviously these things are hard to quantify, but insofar as research has been carried out it does tend to support the notion e.g.

https://hbr.org/2016/01/income-inequ...ies-less-happy

If you're well travelled you'll also observe that the rich in countries with extreme wealth disparity (e.g. South Africa, Kenya) tend to retreat into highly securitised gated communities and don't go out much at night. Which I don't suppose makes the rich very happy either.
              Last edited by sasguru; 13 October 2017, 11:05.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Nice - I shall have to learn that one.
                as an accountant I'm amazed you don't already
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Lord Kelvin quotation.

Which can be summarised, to Brexiters in particular, as "Your fucking brain farts don't matter".
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Obviously these things are hard to quantify, but insofar as research has been carried out it does tend to support the notion e.g.

https://hbr.org/2016/01/income-inequ...ies-less-happy

If you're well travelled you'll also observe that the rich in countries with extreme wealth disparity (e.g. South Africa, Kenya) tend to retreat into highly securitised gated communities and don't go out much at night. Which I don't suppose makes the rich very happy either.
                    They also have armed private security....
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                      Facts about what exactly?
                      Post-referendum it's largely irrelevant 'wot won it' (bit like the Blair Government getting in for a third term when they'd basically bankrupted the country).
                      If by facts you mean the constant political 'briefings' to the media, these are not facts they are predictions with a particular slant (on either side). T

he sooner we get shot of a layer of policitocs the better, and why stop there we need 'small' government.
                      I would prefer an honest government otherwise you end up with Trump
                      Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Working...
                      X