• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Okay - I was wrong on Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing that never fails to amuse me is when immigration is given as the main reason to vote leave. Voting to leave the EU to solve the immigration problem is a bit like trying to fix the car by replacing the wheels when the spark plugs are broken.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      I don't see an immediate economic boom for joining...

Three countries joined in 1995 and all three had flatline growth.

But Greenland leaves and GDP picks up.

Hmm.

Well Greenland left in 1985 and look to be doing OK...

Not much of a difference to their economic growth compared to ours.

So how come Sweden, Finland, and Austria had five years of flat/falling GDP when they joined the EU?
      So Greenland left and their GDP did not pick up by any rate more than the UK did, but you consider that evidence that it picked up.

Sweden and Austria joined and their GDP graph also mirrors that of the UK, but instead of saying they picked up, like you did for Greenland, you say they flatlined.

Are you sure you know what you're looking at?
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I'd wager not. Educational standards nowadays.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          One thing that never fails to amuse me is when immigration is given as the main reason to vote leave. Voting to leave the EU to solve the immigration problem is a bit like trying to fix the car by replacing the wheels when the spark plugs are broken.

Not really.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Remainers do a good line in inappropriate, simplistic analogies. Is it because they're mainly not very bright and can't really analyse complex issues.?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              So Greenland left and their GDP did not pick up by any rate more than the UK did, but you consider that evidence that it picked up.

Sweden and Austria joined and their GDP graph also mirrors that of the UK, but instead of saying they picked up, like you did for Greenland, you say they flatlined.

I think in actuality all the charts show that in or out of the EU all European economies presented seem to have remarkably similar GDP for the timescales in question. Which is probably reflective of wider macro economic factors such as global growth, oil prices, technological advances etc...

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                Remainers do a good line in inappropriate, simplistic analogies. Is it because they're mainly not very bright and can't really analyse complex issues.?
                So you think the freedom of movement will end in 2019.

When the UK does a deal with all the other countries they will all be expecting a relaxation of the visa requirements.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

I think in actuality all the charts show that in or out of the EU all European economies presented seem to have remarkably similar GDP for the timescales in question. Which is probably reflective of wider macro economic factors such as global growth, oil prices, technological advances etc...
                  No major economy has left the EU, so you have no historical reference point.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    No major economy has left the EU, so you have no historical reference point.
                    Quite, in the absence of that, we can only look at Greenland who show growth at that turbulent time.

Comment

Quite, in the absence of that, we can only look at Greenland who show growth at that turbulent time.
                      Perhaps we should look at the ussr Break up and say the Ukraine growth?

Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 16 August 2017, 14:10.

Comment

Working...
                      X