• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Big Fat Positive Brexit Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Big Fat Positive Brexit Thread

I'm coming around to thinking Brexit won't be such a huge disaster. I suspect we are talking less than £10 billion a year. That's hardly eye watering when you think of what is being pissed away on that Victorian amusement park called HS2.

So it's time to look on the bright side.

Problem is so far nobody has mentioned a single thing we are going to get out of this. So let's together make a BIG LIST !?

Firstly, let's knock on the head any abstract airy-fairy nonsense. So you can't say

x) We can make our own laws.

Personally I'm not aware of any laws that I or anybody I know was wanting to make. But I accept you may know better. So fine if you suggest

1) we can go along the M1 at 95 mph after Brexit.

Similarly it's no good saying

y) We can strike up trade deals all over the place.

You need to say what trade deal you want to set up that wasn't already covered by EU membership. Probably selling nuclear components to North Korea is not a good one to put near the top.

Now the only thing I'm aware of is there are high tariffs on certain farm products. So I'll set the ball rolling with:

1) New Zealand Lamb Chops will be cheaper.

Please append yours.

(We'll need to stop when the list gets into the millions.)
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

If New Zealand lamb chops are cheaper Brexiteers will moan about it and insist we cut ourselves off from NZ and support PC and his friends in Wales.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The pund is crashing quicker than a woman only destruction derby. For non-doms like me Brexit presents a unique opportunity to beef up my BTL portfolio.
        Last edited by scooterscot; 29 June 2017, 17:48.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
          x) We can make our own laws.

Personally I'm not aware of any laws that I or anybody I know was wanting to make. But I accept you may know better. So fine if you suggest
          EU law currently prohibits PM May from hiding a CCTV camera in you bathroom with which to measure you average stool quality.

It's not about making laws as such it's about stripping the ones that currently prevents the UK to moving even further to the right.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
            pissed away on that Victorian amusement park called HS2.
            OK, nowt to do with the EU, but...

HS2 is a High Speed rail line which will pretty much provide InterCity service along what is currently the West Coast Main Line corridor. It is well known that the WCML is at full capacity, there is no more capacity to run more trains on that line. And at peak times, those Virgin Trains services are pretty packed.

So we need more capacity along that corridor. We could do another incremental update on the existing WCML (remember the years of pain 15 years ago?) or we could run another link which isn't High Speed. But I cannot imagine the cost differential of 'regular speed' and 'high speed' in construction to be much different. And fresh rail is going to be less disruptive than upgrades to the existing rail.

Years of neglect and poor planning meant nobody considered that it would be massively overcapacity. That's why we cannot easily have longer, faster trains. That's why it would be nigh on impossible to increase capacity with double decker trains.

So if we were to not build HS2, how would you instead address the capacity issues on the WCML?
            Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Here you go, all the positive things Brexit will bring, written down, in one, easy to read list.

Bloody worn out writing that out, that's for sure.

Comment

I have already started negotiating trade deals.

I am planning to buy my sledges from Greenland next year & will be selling them ice from my fridge.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

EDIT - SE got there first - apologies - http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...w-zealand.html

I think we are heading for a trade war with NZ: -

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tle-with-rival

Will they ban Marmite in favour of vegimite?
                  Last edited by BrilloPad; 30 June 2017, 08:14. Reason: Missed SE's thread

Comment

There is no list, the purpose of Brexit was to bring back Spangles (whatever they were)
                    Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Working...
                    X