• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hammond blames Brexit for Tory election failure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
    Don't think May will be doing much of the negotiating and David Davies and Hammond are now talking about a soft Brexit, which technically is not a Brexit, I am going to do a 30K falling knife bet on pound going up 5% I am so confident this will happen my girlfriend is already spending the 6K I am about to make.
    If it's not Brexit, it won't wash. If we go to the EU in sackcloth and ashes we will be properly crucified (apologies to my fellow atheists for the Biblical metaphors). That certainly won't help the pound, so it looks like you could be down £36k.

Shame.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

That's why there should simply be a reversal of Brexit. It makes no difference if the UK stays or does a Soft Brexit, there will still be outrage, therefore they should simply go the whole hog and call it off.

In fact I very much suspect that is going to happen, unless the Hard Brexiteers pull their weight behind a Soft Brexit.

Ambrose says as much in the Telegraph, that the push for a Hard Brexit is going to result in no Brexit at all.

A hard Brexit risks no Brexit at all

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I don't think Einstein agreed with you....
        When I was at University in the UK I became very interested in Lyapunov Exponent and Entropy, OK a bit Geeky but started to realise that you can make money out of this because uncertainty drives the markets but calculating this uncertainty is certainly possible.

With Brexit do understand there are limits which the UK cannot exceed and therefor this is not a truly chaotic event which Einstein was describing and therefore one which I am guaranteed to make money on.
        Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          If it's not Brexit, it won't wash. If we go to the EU in sackcloth and ashes we will be properly crucified (apologies to my fellow atheists for the Biblical metaphors). That certainly won't help the pound, so it looks like you could be down £36k.

Shame.
          I will point you to Schrodingers Theory, the cat is neither alive or dead right now

Comment

Indeed there is an important point is that most people would accept a Brexit which would result in an economic boom. That is if the economy picks up as negotiations get under way, NHS waiting lists drop and rail services improve, public opinion will swing behind Brexit, and the Brexiteers will bask in glory. However if the economy turns down, inflation picks up and public services deteriorate, it will be bye bye Brexit.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Indeed there is an important point is that most people would accept a Brexit which would result in an economic boom. That is if the economy picks up as negotiations get under way, NHS waiting lists drop and rail services improve, public opinion will swing behind Brexit, and the Brexiteers will bask in glory. However if the economy turns down, inflation picks up and public services deteriorate, it will be bye bye Brexit.
              Had a strong feeling that Brexit was more about immigration than anything else, something that most people even remoaners agreed with but putting that explosion back in the bomb was never going to work, funny watching people try tho.
              Last edited by motoukenin; 15 June 2017, 10:28.

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
                I will point you to Schrodingers Theory, the cat is neither alive or dead right now
                It's got sod all to do with Schrodinger's Theory (which was always either bollocks or drug induced anyway). If the UK backs down now, the "punishment" for showing dissent could well be more catastrophic than any short-term consequence of Brexit could ever have been. And if we end up staying as we were, we're nothing more than the EU's second biggest cashpoint machine. I will take a "softer" Brexit, but it has to be Brexit, and something we can walk away from when the cost becomes prohibitive.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                  It's got sod all to do with Schrodinger's Theory (which was always either bollocks or drug induced anyway). If the UK backs down now, the "punishment" for showing dissent could well be more catastrophic than any short-term consequence of Brexit could ever have been. And if we end up staying as we were, we're nothing more than the EU's second biggest cashpoint machine. I will take a "softer" Brexit, but it has to be Brexit, and something we can walk away from when the cost becomes prohibitive.
                  Stop this defeatist scaremongering immediately. The UK is in charge because the UK is a net contributor and has a negative balance or trade with the rest of the EU.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    Indeed there is an important point is that most people would accept a Brexit which would result in an economic boom.
                    Brexit cannot result in an economic boom -it's a physical and logical impossibility.
                    Even Brexiters have stopped saying we can make up for putting a few spokes in the wheels of EU trade by trading with other countries.
                    Because:

1. Other countries aren't that interested in a middling European power with hardly any indigenous manufacturing industry.
                    2. Other countries are not interested in opening up their service industries to us - why would they create more competition for their natives?
                    3. The US will look after Number 1 - itself.

For a year now I've been waiting for a Brexiter to tell me how this post-Brexit economic boom can happen.
                    But not a single one from Boris and David Davies downwards can do so.
                    Why? Because its wishful thinking, pie-in-the sky bollocks, similar to Corbyn's magic money tree.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      Brexit cannot result in an economic boom -it's a physical and logical impossibility.
                      Even Brexiters have stopped saying we can make up for putting a few spokes in the wheels of EU trade by trading with other countries.
                      Because:

1. Other countries aren't that interested in a middling European power with hardly any indigenous manufacturing industry.
                      2. Other countries are not interested in opening up their service industries to us - why would they create more competition for their natives?
                      3. The US will look after Number 1 - itself.

For a year now I've been waiting for a Brexiter to tell me how this post-Brexit economic boom can happen.
                      But not a single one from Boris and David Davies downwards can do so.
                      Why? Because its wishful thinking, pie-in-the sky bollocks, similar to Corbyn's magic money tree.
                      As the Danish Finance Minister said:

There are two kinds of European nations. There are small nations and there are countries that have not yet realised they are small nations.
                      http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...-faces-british

Comment

Working...
                      X