• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit - Do you think we can just ask everyone nicely to forget about it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    Nobody except for the 51.9% majority.... it's called democracy.. get over it.
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    That's why there needs to be a second referendum, to clarify, In the first referendum the young didn't vote, they're now motivated.

I think the second referendum is clearly going to happen, and the youth will swing it.

be afraid, be very afraid....
    More importantly, we are now being told that Hard Brexit is the only way. There is no democratic mandate for this, as Leave campaigners kept inisisitn that The UK would remain inside the single market.

Absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the Single Market
    Daniel Hannan MEP

Only a madman would actually leave the Market
    Owen Paterson MP, Vote Leave backer

Wouldn’t it be terrible if we were really like Norway and Switzerland? Really? They’re rich. They’re happy. They’re self-governing
    Nigel Farage, Ukip leader

The Norwegian option, the EEA option, I think that it might be initally attractive for some business people
    Matthew Elliot, Vote Leave chief executive

Increasingly, the Norway option looks the best for the UK
    Arron Banks, Leave.EU founder
    Open Britain Exposes All The Times Brexiters Promised We Wouldn't Leave The Single Market | HuffPost UK

So we should let the negotiations play out and then have a referendum on accepting the (presumably hard Brexit) deal, or seeking to remain in the EU (if allowed to).

Comment

That's why there needs to be a second referendum, to clarify, In the first referendum the young didn't vote, they're now motivated.

I think the second referendum is clearly going to happen, and the youth will swing it.

be afraid, be very afraid....
      Need a facepalm emoticon...

If the young didn't vote in the Brexit referendum that's their problem, you don't get a second chance just because it didn't go the way you wanted.. who are you, Nicola Sturgeon?
      Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
        Need a facepalm emoticon...

If the young didn't vote in the Brexit referendum that's their problem, you don't get a second chance just because it didn't go the way you wanted.. who are you, Nicola Sturgeon?
        I'm pointing out that the GE which was specifically called to be able to push through Brexit failed. That means everything is back in the air.

The "will of the people".

Of course you can argue there were different reasons why people voted, but then you can argue that about the leave vote, as there were many reasons and not always because the voter wanted to leave.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

I think a lot of young people/students voted labour because Corbyn was promising to abolish university fees

which is about 10k per year

it's a shame that labour did not get in - because I would've to have seen the backlash when he didn't do it.

Comment

I'm pointing out that the GE which was specifically called to be able to push through Brexit failed. That means everything is back in the air.

The "will of the people".

Of course you can argue there were different reasons why people voted, but then you can argue that about the leave vote, as there were many reasons and not always because the voter wanted to leave.

WHS

+1

popcorn

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              I think a lot of young people/students voted labour because Corbyn was promising to abolish university fees

it's a shame that labour did not get in - because I would've to have seen the backlash when he didn't do it.
              I think a lot of young people voted because they believe society should be about more than feathering your own nest and **** everybody else, and it was the first time in years that there was a politician offering something along those lines.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

I gotta say, reminder folks, when most of us went to University 20 years or more ago, there were no tuition fees.

Tuition fees came in in 1998 and at that time were 1000pounds a year. Now 10k a year.

So this big argument where will the money come from well it will have to be taken from some other wastage that it was allocated to when it was taken away from Universities

not rocket science is it

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                  I gotta say, reminder folks, when most of us went to University 20 years or more ago, there were no tuition fees.

Tuition fees came in in 1998 and at that time were 1000pounds a year. Now 10k a year.

So this big argument where will the money come from well it will have to be taken from some other wastage that it was allocated to when it was taken away from Universities

not rocket science is it

Milan.
                  How about not sending so many people to uni to study Media Studies etc ?

I guess that doesn't fit the egalitarian narrative though....

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                    How about not sending so many people to uni to study Media Studies etc ?

I guess that doesn't fit the egalitarian narrative though....

agreed,

how about streaming 15yr olds and 16yr olds towards white collar and blue collar so that we don't run out of plumbers and sparks ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      I think a lot of young people voted because they believe society should be about more than feathering your own nest and **** everybody else, and it was the first time in years that there was a politician offering something along those lines.
                      no, the younger generation are not stuck in 1946, they're pro Europe and integration

simple as that

they didn't vote in the Referendum and now they are voting strategically

qed

Milan.
                      Last edited by milanbenes; 12 June 2017, 13:28.

Comment

Working...
                      X