• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit - Do you think we can just ask everyone nicely to forget about it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    They voted in this election because Corbyn promised a small taste of what previous generations have been handed on a silver platter ----- FTFY

yes precisely my thoughts exactly

would I rather have gone to University 25 years ago or today.... hmmm no tuition fees or 10 grand a year tuition fees

what fecking chance have graduates got when they are saddled with that kind of debt ?

my generation had Loans, about 1k per year and that caused demonstrations, remember the slogans, Grants not Loans

well looking back, we had it easy

sorry for the language, but when I compare what our parents the Baby Boomers had, they had it good, then we Generation X and Y, we didn't have so bad, but the ones these days, they haven't got a chance to stand on their own financial feet

saddled with debt and impossible house prices

what a world to join

Milan.
    Last edited by milanbenes; 12 June 2017, 14:09.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Really - and at the oh so experienced age of 18-21 they have a better understanding of how the world works then us 'old miserable and highly experienced' 30/40 somethings?

They did not vote in the referendum because they were bone idle and though it would be a remain win.

They voted in this election because Corbyn promised free lollipops and zero tuition fees.
      You're still living with your Mum, so you don't have anything to add to the conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        agreed,

how about streaming 15yr olds and 16yr olds towards white collar and blue collar so that we don't run out of plumbers and sparks ?

Milan.
        So you decide at 14 who will be a "manager" and who will be a "worker". What a terrible idea. And I know Germany do it but so what?

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
          So you decide at 14 who will be a "manager" and who will be a "tape changer". What a terrible idea. And I know Germany do it but so what?
          FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
            So you decide at 14 who will be a "manager" and who will be a "worker". What a terrible idea. And I know Germany do it but so what?
            that's the point isn't it, the stigma, manager and worker, how many "white collar" people are workers and how many are managers, most of us here are workers aren't we, even though we have a white collar

you're right, it works very very well in the Germanic/Hapsburg countries, and it used to work very well in the UK

Milan.

Comment

Brexit is dead. Our US 'special relationship' is nothing of the sort. David Cameron has eroded our relationship with EU countries more than any PM in my living memory. The economy is slowing down. This means the debt will now grow faster. What a complete and utter shambles. A general election has cost us £130million, who is paying for it?

At the end of the day it is all about money and the lack we have of it. The government will continue to make rash decisions based on the debt. The country is bankrupt. We should default and get it over with.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Brexit is dead. Our US 'special relationship' is nothing of the sort. David Cameron has eroded our relationship with EU countries more than any PM in my living memory. The economy is slowing down. This means the debt will now grow faster. What a complete and utter shambles. A general election has cost us £130million, who is paying for it?

At the end of the day it is all about money and the lack we have of it. The government will continue to make rash decisions based on the debt. The country is bankrupt. We should default and get it over with.
                Boomers have all the money, so they need to pay for it.
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

No, it's stunned.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    It seems pretty evenly split.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion...rendum_polling

Would be interesting to see some post GE polling.
                    Those opinion polls do not ask the right question. Polls need to ask "If there was another referendum on whether Britain should remain in the European Union tomorrow, how would you vote?"
                    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                      would I rather have gone to University 25 years ago or today....
                      I was supposed to start University in 1997 but decided to take a year out. In 1998, I would have had to pay tuition fees, so I elected not to go.

Now I earn more than any of my friends who went to Uni.

There is an obsession that anyone should be able to go to Uni, and perhaps that is the problem - increased demand for University places? But I disagree, what is the point going to University for 3-4 years to get a 2:1 in Latin to spend the rest of your days as a receptionist in a hospital?

Some courses (engineering, science, etc) should be more available, and probably at a lower cost, but arty farty ones which are just an excuse to delay entering the real world for a few more years should be more expensive as arguably they will provide less future value to the wider economy.

People should be encouraged into the workplace at 18 rather than bumming for another 3-4 years for no benefit.
                      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Working...
                      X