• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit - Do you think we can just ask everyone nicely to forget about it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit - Do you think we can just ask everyone nicely to forget about it

Afternoon All,

well, as recent events have shown the country doesn't want Brexit, and now the Government and everybody are starting to water down Brexit to the point where there is no Brexit, do you think if we just ask Brussels nicely to forget about it, and we stop talking about it, it will go away.

I mean, the Elephant in the room was always that nobody wanted Brexit.

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Afternoon All,

well, as recent events have shown the country doesn't want Brexit, and now the Government and everybody are starting to water down Brexit to the point where there is no Brexit, do you think if we just ask Brussels nicely to forget about it, and we stop talking about it, it will go away.

I mean, the Elephant in the room was always that nobody wanted Brexit.

Milan.
    Nobody except for the 51.9% majority.... it's called democracy.. get over it.
    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Absolutely, the General Election has changed everything. It effectively negated the referendum. The government didn't get a majority for their Brexit. The best you can hope for is "Soft Brexit" which will just be a sh*ttier version of membership.

As Anna Soubry said when Andrew Neil challenged her on her demand for a Soft Brexit, "the people have spoken".
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
        Nobody except for the 51.9% majority.... it's called democracy.. get over it.
        Nearly every person I know who voted for Brexit have changed their minds. Some were hard liners until the farce of the general election.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Nearly every person I know who voted for Brexit have changed their minds. Some were hard liners until the farce of the general election.
          It seems pretty evenly split.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion...rendum_polling

Would be interesting to see some post GE polling.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Absolutely, the General Election has changed everything. It effectively negated the referendum. The government didn't get a majority for their Brexit. The best you can hope for is "Soft Brexit" which will just be a sh*ttier version of membership.

As Anna Soubry said when Andrew Neil challenged her on her demand for a Soft Brexit, "the people have spoken".
            Nonsense.

It was a general election and, as usual, people voted on the various parties' manifestos and the proposals contained therein, some of which were related to Brexit but there was a whole raft of other issues on which people were voting, e.g. the "dementia" tax.

We've had a referendum on whether or not we wish to leave the EU and 52% of the people who voted voted to leave so it's done and dusted.

Get over it.

Comment

Most people were expecting the Tories to win a landslide in the GE and basically confirm Brexit as after a year of debate everyone is a bit clearer about what it is. But they didn't, so everything is up in the air.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Most people were expecting the Tories to win a landslide in the GE and basically confirm Brexit as after a year of debate everyone is a bit clearer about what it is. But they didn't, so everything is up in the air.
                No it's not.

Look at the polls - when the election was called the cons were 20 points in the lead; ostensibly because of the expectation of them getting the Brexit that people voted for.

What blew it was the atrocious campaign, the dementia tax and the subsequent climbdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                  No it's not.

Look at the polls - when the election was called the cons were 20 points in the lead; ostensibly because of the expectation of them getting the Brexit that people voted for.

What blew it was the atrocious campaign, the dementia tax and the subsequent climbdown.
                  That's why there needs to be a second referendum, to clarify, In the first referendum the young didn't vote, they're now motivated.

I think the second referendum is clearly going to happen, and the youth will swing it.

be afraid, be very afraid....
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    It seems pretty evenly split.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion...rendum_polling

Would be interesting to see some post GE polling.
                    I saw a poll over the weekend which had 52% remain, 48% leave.

Democracy, innit?

Comment

Working...
                    X