• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff (part 2)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Look around your house, list the stuff made by British owned companies in Britain.
    I buy the best things I can afford - the only British brand I can see is a Dyson (made in Malaysia and so crap its never used). Oh and some garden tools, but although they sound British, they're probably made abroad.

We don't make enough to trade our way in the world. Bottom line.
    "We" make Henry Hoovers, which are better, more reliable and 1/3 the price of a Dyson. (But then again, James Dyson was a staunch supporter of the Brexit campaign, so he wants you to believe his stuff is British and that he cares about British industry, while he sells his overpriced tat to the gullible.)
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Look around your house, list the stuff made by British owned companies in Britain.
      I buy the best things I can afford - the only British brand I can see is a Dyson (made in Malaysia and so crap its never used). Oh and some garden tools, but although they sound British, they're probably made abroad.

We don't make enough to trade our way in the world. Bottom line.

80% of our economy is services of which the vast majority goes to Europe and the US.
      India and China (2/5ths of the world population) are not interested in our services, they've got a closed economy.

HTH, BIDI
      Indeed....and...more hurdles in the way of Brexit.

Brexit to be delayed

Theresa May will fail to start Brexit by her deadline of next March because of legal hold-ups, the leader of the country set to assume the EU presidency has predicted.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Furthermore figures from the ONS show that although only 1% of companies in Britain are foreign owned, they generate about 28% of the added value in the economy. If we strip these companies out the size of the "real" British economy is about 3/4 of the current GDP figures.
        That would catapult us down the rankings, we wouldn't even be in the top 10.

Most British companies are PSCs - many of us on this forum have one for tax purposes, and don't really generate any value
        Last edited by sasguru; 25 November 2016, 11:30.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

But the thing that's should be really worrying the government is that foreigners who basically prop up the economy by buying British gilts are having the heebie -jeebies.
          I posted the FT link with the figures in a previous thread.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Having said all of which I've come to the conclusion that a Götterdämmerung moment is necessary for British society.
            Hence I support a hard Brexit.
            For those with the means there will be plenty of opportunities in chaos - as many Tories know.
            In the end we'll be back in Europe within a generation or 2, Brexit will just shuffle the elite slightly.
            For the vast majority, it will entail economic pain and a drop in living standards.
            Last edited by sasguru; 25 November 2016, 11:37.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Director General of WTO will be as supportive as possible:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.i...?client=safari
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Interesting

The Scottish parliament may have the legal right to block Article 50 entirely | The Independent

May, May, don't delay, we want Brexit straight away
                as they say....

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Brexit is not a "normal circumstance" though.

HTH
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Brexit is not a "normal circumstance" though.

HTH
                    No doubt someone will bring a court case to put a spanner in the works though
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

No doubt someone will bring a court case to put a spanner in the works though
                      I very much suspect in the end that a court will decide that the UK takes precedence over Scotland, but not necessarily by the end of March.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X