• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Closing company down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing company down

Hi all,

I am planning to close my company down, so I can release the capital that I have in there. What is the best way to do this, to allow minimum tax given to the government?

Thanks!

Originally posted by kesm View Post
    Hi all,

I am planning to close my company down, so I can release the capital that I have in there. What is the best way to do this, to allow minimum tax given to the government?

Thanks!
    Generally, the most tax efficient way of closing the company is usually by going through a members voluntary liquidation (MVL) as this allows you to take all of the funds as capital. If you qualify for entrepreneurs relief you will pay tax at just 10% and you will benefit from the capital gains allowance of £11,000 if you have no other capital gains during the tax year.

There is a lot more to consider with there may be more efficient ways of closing your company down. Your accountant will be best placed to advise you of the approach that suits you best.

I hope this helps.

Martin

Comment

You could try searching the forums as this has been asked a million times. You can search using the technique detailed here...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...uk-forums.html
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kesm View Post
        Hi all,

Thanks!
        Speak to Chris at MVLonline (google it). Top bloke, very good at what they do and very efficient.

Else if you have less than 25k in your account (after having used all tax allowances) then you can avoid the liquidation route.

Comment

I recall the op was asking about getting money out for a house. If this recollection is correct then liquidation may be a risky strategy. It seems possible there may be a phoenix.

This could be problematic and cause subsequent taxation problems if the underlying business is to continue.

Comment

Working...
          X