• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency said i got the role but then backtracked few days later

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency said i got the role but then backtracked few days later

Hi All,

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on this odd situation I've been put in recently.

Basically I interviewed for a contract role which went extremely well. I was the only one who interviewed and the feedback to my recruitment agency afterwards was excellent. A daily rate was agreed with the agency and they gave me a call at close of play on a Friday congratulating me on getting the role and HR had approved everything and i'd sign paperwork on the monday.

It was a good step up for me and a long contract with option to go permanent so needless to say i had a really good weekend blowing a lot of money celebrating as you do.

I then got a call late monday afternoon saying the client is worried i'd leave and wanted to know if i'd consider starting on a fixed term contract or permanent. I was quite taken aback as i interviewed for the role on assumption it was contract only with the agency knowing i wasn't considering any permanent roles at the moment.

I let the agency know they could assure the client i'd stick around as i had done with my prior contracts (all over minimum of 1.5 years each) and i would even commit to a minimum 6 month term with a rate retention only payable if i complete the 6 month term incentive for me to stick around.

It now turns out that the role has been retracted and probably went for another candidate on a permanent basis.

Where do i stand with something like this? I didn't lose out anything as i'm still in my current contract. Luckily i didn't give notice to my current client but i do feel a bit done in as i spent a lot of money and told a few people i'd got the role.
    Last edited by Gti182; 22 May 2014, 09:27.

realise i may have posted this in the wrong section

Comment

Originally posted by Gti182 View Post
      I let the agency know they could assure the client i'd stick around as i had done with my prior contracts (all over minimum of 1.5 years each)
      Luckily i didn't give notice to my current client
      There seems to be some discrepancy between the two statements - tell the client I always see out my contracts, and I'll give notice on this one so I can start with them
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Sadly this is part of the rough and tumble of contracting. Good job you still have your existing contract.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Learn not to spend money that isn't in the bank? I'm meant to be working this bank holiday which means I can finally get that ZBook I want. Guess what, though, I won't be buying it until the cash lands!

Sorry to hear you got messed around, though - it definitely sucks. And why advertise for contractors if you want permie!

Comment

Originally posted by Gti182 View Post
            i do feel a bit done in as i spent a lot of money and told a few people i'd got the role.
            If there was some kind of legal recourse every time people did something silly, the courts would never get anything else done.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'll take it on the chin as a learning experience but you'd think the agency would be a bit more professional and apologetic

Comment

I happens, I had an interview canceled on the day it was due to take place and I'd already taken a day off my current contract. days wages down the drain

Comment

It happened to me mid contract. Permie suddenly returned from long term sick leave, quite unexpectedly and I had to go. I already delivered the main part of the project and I was well on my way to deliver the rest of the project well within time and budget in the remaining three months of my contract, somehow it gives me satisfaction that this permie until today (more than one year later) still hasn't delivered anything.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    Learn not to spend money that isn't in the bank?
                    I thought he maybe meant on travel for the interview but maybe you're right.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X