• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The S58 vs IR35 debate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
    Hmmm, working on a project by project basis and then moving on is hardly a solid basis to claim you are outside of IR35. I hope you've got a bit more in your armoury than that. Otherwise you might be getting a bit of what people think that you deserve.
    There you go wishing misfortune on others again. Yet you wonder why others don't support your cause.....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      There you go wishing misfortune on others again. Yet you wonder why others don't support your cause.....
      Eh? Why not reread it this time taking the words into account. I sincerely hope you have more in your armoury, because IR35 is about control, not term. And if you are found to be inside and assuming that you aren't paying PAYE levels of tax (which you might well be for all I know), then consider what people will think. You're firmly amongst those of us branded 'morally repugnant'. I wouldn't wish what has happened to us on anyone, that said, I see an advantage to our cause by many people being roped in by HMRC grasping. Truth is, you don't want to support our cause, people like you see us as being the 'dodgy' ones because we used a scheme. A lot of those same people will be using other methods, such as minimum wage, to bring down their tax bills, because they have a limited company. I'm not condemning anyone, I just fail to see how they can delude themselves into thinking that's not tax avoidance. Personally, I've given up on getting other people to support our cause. Good luck with yours.

Comment

Eh? Why not reread it this time taking the words into account. I sincerely hope you have more in your armoury, because IR35 is about control, not term. And if you are found to be inside and assuming that you aren't paying PAYE levels of tax (which you might well be for all I know), then consider what people will think. You're firmly amongst those of us branded 'morally repugnant'. I wouldn't wish what has happened to us on anyone, that said, I see an advantage to our cause by many people being roped in by HMRC grasping. Truth is, you don't want to support our cause, people like you see us as being the 'dodgy' ones because we used a scheme. A lot of those same people will be using other methods, such as minimum wage, to bring down their tax bills, because they have a limited company. I'm not condemning anyone, I just fail to see how they can delude themselves into thinking that's not tax avoidance. Personally, I've given up on getting other people to support our cause. Good luck with yours.
        WHS!

Comment

Don't feed the troll

www.dotas-scandal.org
          Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

I think the IR35 discussion is perfectly valid for this thread because that's why so many of us are in this mess!

I still haven't met one person that can categorically explain to me what IR35 is and what I should do about it. Hasn't it been around since 2001?

I also don't feel that people need to defend themselves with regards to whether they are operating as a limited company or not.

So here's the process:
            Agency offers me a contract on the basis I operate limited
            I go setup a limited company
            I employ an accountant to manage my company and tell me how to operate my business and pay myself
            I tell them I want to operate above board and transparent and do everything by the book
            They say "take this much salary, expenses and take the rest in dividends" - I do
            Agency tells me to take out public liability and professional indemnity insurances - so I do (i'm now insured)
            when I'm sick I don't get paid so that has to be covered by the profits in the company
            when I'm on holiday I don't get paid so that has to be covered by the profits in the company
            I don't have a pension so I should take one out through my company
            I have 1 weeks notice that my current contract may end

In the meantime I do what I do best - work in IT, code/script/design etc. Bouncing around different projects.

I pay my VAT bills, corporation tax, accountancy fees, self assessment fees, etc on time.
            I submit all my paperwork to Companies House and HMRC on time

I seek other work for my business through various contacts and I'm currently setting up a website to promote my services locally.

I'm clearly not operating a business and must pay myself a huge salary so I can pay more tax eh ?

So basically IR35 asked me to prove I'm a business so that I can get the same tax breaks that big corporate can get.

Comment

Eh? Why not reread it this time taking the words into account.
              Hmmm, working on a project by project basis and then moving on is hardly a solid basis to claim you are outside of IR35. I hope you've got a bit more in your armoury than that. Otherwise you might be getting a bit of what people think that you deserve.
              I replied to the bit in bold. The rest of it just makes the last bit sound even worse.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                I replied to the bit in bold. The rest of it just makes the last bit sound even worse.
                I don't see how, because it clearly would only apply to someone wilfully avoiding tax. And it's not my view, but the view of Joe Public, and indeed reflects your own beliefs. But read into it what you wish.

Comment

OK, which Mod is responsible for me questioning my sanity - saw this thread in my name and couldn't for the life of me remember starting it
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    OK, which Mod is responsible for me questioning my sanity - saw this thread in my name and couldn't for the life of me remember starting it
                    http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1940889

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                      I am Lisa - I believe that you started the IR35 debate in the NTRT thread and caused it to veer off-course.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X