• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Send wrong amount in invoices for a few months.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Send wrong amount in invoices for a few months.

Hello all,

I hope someone can help me as I have an issue that even is entirely my fault I believe that I should be legally covered.

I was working with a client for 3 months, then they raised up my day rate for the next 7 months. The problem was that I totally forgot to update my day rate on the software I use to make the timesheet and create the invoices, so I´ve been charging them less than the agreed amount for 7 months.

Huge mistake, I know, but should I claim them that difference? Am I legally covered here? I don´t remember if it says something in the contract about it, probably not (I will check it later)

I know in the opposite case, they would probably have chase me, so what can I do?

I don´t work with that client anymore, which makes things a bit harder I believe.

Any help on this issue would be very appreciated. I will definitively learn from this, I hope doesn´t happen anymore.

Thanks.
    Last edited by rvarela; 6 June 2014, 10:15. Reason: issue solved

You totally forgot to check your invoices for 7 months? That is just totally irresponsible and beggars belief to be honest. Unfortunately a word with your client and an invoice to cover the missing amount will probably cover it so you should be ok.

... or is the quality of sockie troll going down hill? 4 today and counting.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 10 April 2014, 11:42.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You totally forgot to check your invoices for 7 months? That is just totally irresponsible and beggars belief to be honest. Unfortunately a word with your client and an invoice to cover the missing amount will probably cover it so you should be ok.

... or is the quality of sockie troll going down hill?
      I know it´s a major failure on my side, but to be honest it was my first contract, and I´m still learning the ins and outs of this world.

I´m glad to hear that there´s a chance to recover that missing money that I´ve earned. So I will try to speak with the HR responsible before thinking on legal disputes of any kind.

Comment

I believe this is an acceptable opportunity for this:

Comment

Originally posted by rvarela View Post
          I know it´s a major failure on my side, but to be honest it was my first contract, and I´m still learning the ins and outs of this world.

I´m glad to hear that there´s a chance to recover that missing money that I´ve earned. So I will try to speak with the HR responsible before thinking on legal disputes of any kind.
          With that level of diligence which EBT provider are you with?

Comment

Still learning isn't an excuse for checking how much you are charging IMO...

You are now a business so always look to resolve things through negotiation now and don't jump to legal. For a start in 99.99% of any situation it just won't go legal, it's too expensive to go down that route. Clients know this as well so negotiation will usually come to the correct conclusion. Nothing beats communication.

You do have an accountant as well don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Still learning isn't an excuse for checking how much you are charging IMO...

You are now a business so always look to resolve things through negotiation now and don't jump to legal. For a start in 99.99% of any situation it just won't go legal, it's too expensive to go down that route. Clients know this as well so negotiation will usually come to the correct conclusion. Nothing beats communication.

You do have an accountant as well don't you?
              I know, I wasn´t making excuses (I coudln´t!), I was only explaining the whole situation. I will follow your advice, and I will speak with them.

Yes, I do have an accountant, it was my fail that I didn´t update the day rate on the software...

Thanks a lot for your comment.

Comment

Hello all,

I hope someone can help me as I have an issue that even is entirely my fault I believe that I should be legally covered.

I was working with a client for 3 months, then they raised up my day rate for the next 7 months. The problem was that I totally forgot to update my day rate on the software I use to make the timesheet and create the invoices, so I´ve been charging them less than the agreed amount for 7 months.

Huge mistake, I know, but should I claim them that difference? Am I legally covered here? I don´t remember if it says something in the contract about it, probably not (I will check it later)

I know in the opposite case, they would probably have chase me, so what can I do?

I don´t work with that client anymore, which makes things a bit harder I believe.

Any help on this issue would be very appreciated. I will definitively learn from this, I hope doesn´t happen anymore.

Thanks.
                Fear not, this happens all the time even in established businesses.

Firstly, call the ex-client and explain the issue and apologise unreservedly for the mix up.

Then confirm this conversation by email and include an invoice to cover the difference in what was paid and what was supposed to be paid, asking politely when they expect to be able to release payment.

Be patient and understand that somebody at the client end will be pulled from whatever they are supposed to be doing, to deal with this issue. So keep it polite and friendly if at all possible.
                The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

Originally posted by Safe Collections View Post
                  Fear not, this happens all the time even in established businesses.

Firstly, call the ex-client and explain the issue and apologise unreservedly for the mix up.

Then confirm this conversation by email and include an invoice to cover the difference in what was paid and what was supposed to be paid, asking politely when they expect to be able to release payment.

Be patient and understand that somebody at the client end will be pulled from whatever they are supposed to be doing, to deal with this issue. So keep it polite and friendly if at all possible.
                  Thanks for your tips, I will definitively do that, I also ended in a very good manner with them, so I hope they will understand.

Comment

Thanks for your tips, I will definitively do that, I also ended in a very good manner with them, so I hope they will understand.
                    I'm not surprised. I would leave on very good terms with anyone that under charged me for 7 months as well

Comment

Working...
                    X