• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Free days as non-IR35 pointers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free days as non-IR35 pointers

What if, every couple of months, you work at a client site for free.
    That is, show on your invoice 5 days on-site, but only invoicing for 4 days, and claim the one day was to fix bugs/problems for free, ie no charge.

By doing work for no payment, are you showing that you are taking a commercial risk, and therefore outside of IR-35?

Just curious, and having a think as the weekend looms ever nearer.

It is indeed a pointer outside IR35.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Sure, it would be a minor pointer if you're required to fix errors without charge. Not a major pointer.

Comment

You'd need to have some kind of evidence that you were actually taking a risk and doing bug-fixing etc. on those days, otherwise HMRC would argue that you weren't taking a risk, just trying to make it look like you did.

For the loss of a day's income regularly vs the cost of insurance, I know which one I'll be taking.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Free days:
          Fix my own cock up
          May win a decent piece of work
          Doing something I really enjoy / have an interest in

Non free days:
          Any day that permies are doing free so I should too

Comment

It would be a very big pointer.... pointer towards you being an idiot.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=northernladuk;1898724]It would be a very big pointer.... pointer towards you being an idiot.[/

My favourite post of the week. Made me spit coffee on the screen.

Comment

The work would have to have actually been done though. Adding a couple of non-billed days onto an invoice when there was no actual work done would be pretty risky. It might count as fraud but IANAL.

Comment

This isn't one of the three factors (Control, Personal Service & MOO) and so wouldn't instantly exempt you from IR35 - it would only support a conclusion already reached based on the above three factors.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    It would be a very big pointer.... pointer towards you being an idiot.
                    steady on, old bean!

Comment

Working...
                    X