• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Disclosure Scotland - anyone here used them?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disclosure Scotland - anyone here used them?

I was advised recently to get my security clearance carried out through Disclosure Scotland, but really I'm a bit confused as to what level I would need and what particularly makes Disclosure Scotland a good bet.

I have a lot of experience in the public sector, so maybe that's why this was recommended, although I have no particular preference for either private or public sector contracts.

So as usual any advice appreciated, particularly on best SC types to get, in general?

ta
    Steve

Disclosure Scotland are the only place the public and companies can go for a crb check.

It's got Moët to do with security clearance
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Disclosure Scotland are the only place the public and companies can go for a crb check.

It's got Moët to do with security clearance
      Well they do claim that 'Disclosure Scotland runs checks against the Scottish Criminal History System, the UK-wide
      Police National Computer and Access NI (Northern Ireland).' so I'm not sure whether a certificate of disclosure from them would actually give me an advantage when looking for new contracts. Maybe public sector only.

Comment

A lot of public sector jobs that do not require you to go through SC or DV clearance now want you to be willing to undergo disclosure scotland.

It's £25 and takes less than 10 minutes to do yourself online, so why not ?

I have security clearance but have just applied for it anyway as head start for public sector roles that are not defense or military related.

SC and DV are not something you can apply for yourself, they are done through and for the authority you work for as they are role rather than person based.

HTH
        If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Cheers, think I'll go for it anyway. If it helps me get just one contract it will have paid for itself, can probably claim for it in any case.

Comment

Originally posted by raidzero View Post
            Cheers, think I'll go for it anyway. If it helps me get just one contract it will have paid for itself, can probably claim for it in any case.
            If it was me, I'd hang on until your new contract actually requires it.

Otherwise, you may well end up wasting the £25, & doing it again anyway as, in my experience, clients won't accept a current SD check. I've gone thru this (harmless) process a couple of times now; it forms part of either the agent's or the client's compliance checking process.

Up to you of course but I don't think having it is going to increase your chances of selection for a role, whether that be pub or priv sector...
            Clarity is everything

Comment

I was told I need to apply for it before I'm allowed onsite at CurrentClient.

Certificate duly came through.

That was four months ago.

Nobody has asked to see it!

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
                I was told I need to apply for it before I'm allowed onsite at CurrentClient.

Certificate duly came through.

That was four months ago.

Nobody has asked to see it!

Yes, exactly that has happened to me once.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                  If it was me, I'd hang on until your new contract actually requires it.

Otherwise, you may well end up wasting the £25, & doing it again anyway as, in my experience, clients won't accept a current SD check. I've gone thru this (harmless) process a couple of times now; it forms part of either the agent's or the client's compliance checking process.

Up to you of course but I don't think having it is going to increase your chances of selection for a role, whether that be pub or priv sector...
                  +1 - it's a point in time check, which many clients won't accept if it's too old, so why bother at the moment (apart from seeing what they report about you)
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Hmm. Just applied for an SC role where client is willing to wait for SC. (I've previously been SC but its lapsed).

Pimp has said that if I get Disclosure Scotland sorted thats like BC and will allow me to work on site until SC comes through.

Yeh its only £25 so why not but sounds a bit dubious to me.

(BTW, I'm not in Scotland, not Scottish, and neither is the client)
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X