• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 24 Month Rule in a nutshell

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assume the hotels you claimed for were a different site which would be ok. It's only hotels at the site what was temporary until 24 months and is now your permanent location. Remember you have to stop claiming when you KNOW you will be therefor 24 months not AT 24 months. If your 6 month extension starts before 24 months but ends after you can't claim for any of that extension.
    This is a fine call as you could argue doubling the distance is a significant change but you could argue 20 miles isn't really a lot. A permie would still travel that extra for example. So far then it's a judgement call based on your attitude to risk. I must admit it doesn't sound enough for me but.....
    24 month rule is based on geographical location so where is the new address? Is it in the same county? If you were in Greater Manchester but now in Cheshire it looks a lot different and might be easily defendable without going in to the details if you get me. Might just tip the balance depend on your risk levels. If it's still in the same county then it's back to a personal judgement call.

And yes you start claiming as soon as you have a different location to your old permanent one.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

The sites are different counties.. different countries infact (England and Wales), although only about 20 miles apart.

Hotels were I guess after the 27 months when I had moved site, so I could use that to defend having got them.

Am undecided - will have another word with my accountants and see what they reckon (I'm still with the same accounting company, but have a different accountant to when I originally asked)

Thanks again

Matt

Comment

Clarification on Expenses

Hi Everyone,
        I have read a few threads regarding the 24 month rule and when you are not allowed to claim expenses such as mileage. I just wanted to get some clarification as to whether this would also include accommodation costs or is it just mileage allowance that cannot be claim when deemed to be in the 24 month rule?

Comment

Hi,
          Your thoughts on the following please:

Currently I am contractor and my home office is Epsom, which is stated on my contract. All work that I have carried out so far is near Reading (approx. 14 months), I am from the Derbyshire area so I pay for accommodation which is within a 20 mile radius from Reading. My question is, if I could get my client to change the home office from Epsom to one of their other offices (which would be at least 50 miles away from original home office) but still carry-on working in Reading would this reset the 24 month Rule? Even if say I changed the accommodation from where I am now to a different county? I not really concerned too much over fuel but the accommodation is expensive, if I had to pay for this out of my own pocket then I suppose I would have to look for another contract or see about increasing my rate to cover the overheads.

Comment

It's not the distance it's your journey.

So if the client changes the home office you work from but you still work on-site in Reading then your journey is the same - so no the 24 month rule isn't reset.

This would happen even if you lived permanently in the SE.
            Last edited by SueEllen; 5 December 2015, 22:47.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Changing the paperwork doesn't alter the reality so won't work.

Comment

Should I stop claiming expenses?

I have been contracting with my current client since Jan 2015 who is based at Croydon, initially a 3 month contract which then was extended to 9 months. This year I have accepted a new contract with the same client but will be working 3 days a week with one day working from home. (I have worked 60% of the time at the client location last year)

The other 2 days I will be working for another client near Farringdon.

Can I still claim travel expense travelling to client 1 and client 2?

Your thoughts please.

Many Thanks

Comment

What makes you think you can't?

Comment

Hi NLUK,

I read that if your engagement period is under 24 months then you are okay to claim expenses, The new one year contract will take me to 24 months with the same client and hence the doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by redbridge View Post
                      Hi NLUK,

I read that if your engagement period is under 24 months then you are okay to claim expenses, The new one year contract will take me to 24 months with the same client and hence the doubt.
                      I would say you can't claim anything for the one year extension as you KNOW you are going to be there over 24 months and are there over 40% of the time. What I don't quite understand is the new arrangement. Is that 3 days being 2 at client and one from home? Even with that your total time at the client over the two years will be over 40% so still fail that rule I think.

You can claim for the Farringdon gig as it's not your permanent workplace, the Croydon one is.
                      Last edited by northernladuk; 2 January 2016, 18:18.

Comment

Working...
                      X