• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

staff turnover and response time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

staff turnover and response time

I am just wondering what is the normal staff turnover rate for accountancy firms? For the last 3 years and a bit, my accountant manager changed 4 times. I just found out today that even my accountant has left last year. What is the acceptable response time? Mine was 24 hours to start with, then 2/3 days, then a month.

Response times vary - if you send an email in late January you may find it takes longer to get a response than normal as we're probably all drowning in last minute tax returns.

In turns of staff turnover, it may be because the staff have been promoted or there's been a reshuffle. If you're not happy I'd suggest a gentle complaint to start with, and see where that gets you.

Although saying that, if it takes a month to even acknowledge an email then maybe a slightly less than gentle complaint!
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

I think all my previous account managers left the firm. red flag? I mentioned it to my accountant who left the firm as well. He told me changing account manager once a year is completely normal? really?

Comment

Originally posted by 7of9 View Post
        I think all my previous account managers left the firm. red flag? I mentioned it to my accountant who left the firm as well. He told me changing account manager once a year is completely normal? really?
        Nope. Its not normal.

Equally by itself its not sinister, but it could be indicative of other issues - shot across managements bows wouldn't go amiss.

Comment

We have already discussed this via PM (although you are not a Nixon Williams client), but for the benefit of other forum viewers that might have a similar query:

We usually respond to emails on the same working day, 2 days at the latest in busy periods.

Our staff turnover is very low, it is rare that we lose a member of staff but we do sometimes need to change account managers sometimes in order to maintain a certain ratio of clients per staff member. We try to avoid this but due to growth, promotions, maternity leave etc. it is unavoidable in some instances.

Craig

Comment

I have had 4 accountants in about 4 years and a thread recently indicated other SJD clients have had similar. Never once was it a problem though. New people were as professional as the rest so no red flags raised. If the firm has good process and procedure another good guy/gal should be able to pick up smoothly.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I would be highly concerned it takes a month to reply to an email!

This is defiantly an issue even if all us accountants are drowned in self assessments.

On staff turnover as mentioned could be promotions, staff reshuffle, although i am always skeptical of high staff turnover firms as if the firm was that good to work for why would staff want to leave??

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
                We have already discussed this via PM (although you are not a Nixon Williams client), but for the benefit of other forum viewers that might have a similar query:

We usually respond to emails on the same working day, 2 days at the latest in busy periods.

Our staff turnover is very low, it is rare that we lose a member of staff but we do sometimes need to change account managers sometimes in order to maintain a certain ratio of clients per staff member. We try to avoid this but due to growth, promotions, maternity leave etc. it is unavoidable in some instances.

Craig
                My reaction as a Nixon Williams client is just that, I've had 1 change in account manager (early ish on as she was promoted) and I can't remember the last time that I asked a question that wasn't fully responded to same day or within minutes if I phone to ask something. Even when my contact is on leave there's cover that answers the phone or emails.

Admittedly its rare I ask anything other than what to an accountant is probably bleeding obvious.

I'd certainly be really irritated with a response time over a day, but my guess is if it was an esoteric question I'd get a response of "we're looking into it" same day.

Comment

I spent 7 years in the Profession and 3.5 years in each of two practices. Clients were replied to the same day, but they all got charged more than £100 per month. This was pre email and mobile phone days, too. Instead we had secretaries and tea ladies...
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post

Craig
                    Im with NW and I'd agree with Craig. I'd say 99% of emails are answered same day. The response is so good that in the last 3 years I've never had to meet or even speak to my account manager!

Also, I've had the same account manager all this time and he really is excellent. In fact, I'd be a bit gutted if NW gave me someone else (although I'm sure they're all as good).

And no I don't work for NW!
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X