• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best option for getting a private car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best option for getting a private car?

One of my clients has HQ out of the country, in quite a picturesque location.
    The best way to get around there is by car and I am thinking of getting my own.
    I will probably use it for private use more than for business, so with that out of the way, what the best way to get the car these days? Buy for cash, some loan, leasing?
    Currently the money flow is quite good and so is the warchest, but with contract one never knows, so I'm tempted to get sth cheaper second-hand for cash. On the other hand I see deals such as 'Personal contract hire deal' which works out for less than £200 pcm for a brand new car...
    So which way should I go? Any recommendations?

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    One of my clients has HQ out of the country, in quite a picturesque location.
    The best way to get around there is by car and I am thinking of getting my own.
    I will probably use it for private use more than for business, so with that out of the way, what the best way to get the car these days? Buy for cash, some loan, leasing?
    Currently the money flow is quite good and so is the warchest, but with contract one never knows, so I'm tempted to get sth cheaper second-hand for cash. On the other hand I see deals such as 'Personal contract hire deal' which works out for less than £200 pcm for a brand new car...
    So which way should I go? Any recommendations?
    what would your annual mileage be?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Less than £200 a month over five years with a 40% bubble payment at the end and 15p a mile overcharge for mileage above 7500 a year.... More reasonable options cost more so look at the realistic cost, not the advertised one.

If you are going to lease, look at hybrids. Although several diesels will outperform them for mpg and emissions the idiot government gives a discount on the BIK that can make them more cost effective. If you don't mind running something pathetically pointless, of course.

Otherwise, if you just want cost-effective transport, get something around 5 years old of a decent make (but not one of the German premium ones or you'll ay a fortune on maintenance) for around £5k and charge it to YourCo at 45ppm. Late model XJ6s are quite nice, for example...

Or get a van. There's a very sexy Fiesta Diesel Sport out there right now...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
      X