• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stuck while filing my SA tax return

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck while filing my SA tax return

I have been filing my SA tax return on HMRC website online, and I am stuck at Step 4, and need some guidance.

The website asks me to input my Total pay before tax is taken off as per my P60. The HMRC website notes on this says as follows:-

You should deduct from the P60 figure any payment (before tax is taken off) included in respect of lump sums and benefits paid on, or following, termination of employment, retirement or death, payments or benefits from a former employer or paid for agreeing to restrict your activities. These payments should be included in the 'other UK income' section of your return.
    If your employer has reported the amount of a benefit from your employment on your form P11D and taxed that amount through your payroll, you should deduct from the P60 or P45 figure the amount (before tax is taken off) reported on your P11D. You should enter the amount you have deducted from the P60 or P45 figure in the required fields as appropriate. Please refer to any specific advice issued by your employer if you are unsure what figures to enter.

Now, I have a Medical Insurance policy through my employer who pays the premium, and my employer had provided me with a copy of P11D expenses, which shows a Cash equivalent amount filled in under the "Private Medical Treatment or Insurance" heading. However, I am not sure if my employer has already taxed this amount through my payroll.

Should I deduct this benefit amount from my P60 when filling my employment income figure (as advised in the HMRC note)?

Originally posted by coolguycp1 View Post
    Please refer to any specific advice issued by your employer if you are unsure what figures to enter.
    This bit not help?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You might see my previous threads which tells the reason behind me having to fill a SA return even though I am a permanent employee and my income is less than my spouse (for child benefit purposes).

In summary, I filed my SA return for FY 2011-12 for my employment through LTD. CO (which was closed during that year) and my permanent employment (for the remaining period of FY 2011-12). I got a Notice of SA from HMRC again for FY 2012-13, which I thought I had to oblige, and hence all the hard work.

I doubt if my employer will help me filing my SA returns, since the taxes would already have been paid through the payroll.

Comment

I doubt if my employer will help me filing my SA returns, since the taxes would already have been paid through the payroll.
        That is the point. In my case I dont get a p11 but do get taxable benefits; thus these are added on to income for tax. The p60 then shows taxable as pay plus benefits, the tax deducted is based on that so my sa return comes out as zero.

In your case it is on the p11. So it is unlikely to be dealt with through payroll but you need to check. If you cant work it out, because you dont kniw how much you earned you will have to ask hr.

but, lets say your salary was 50k and the premiums 1000. Your pay for tax is 51k.

If your p60 says 50k then you need to add 1k to other income. If it says 51k you dont. You may want to enter 50k as pay and 1k as other income but I personally wouldnt bother.

Hmrc are only simply trying to stop it being taxed twice, hence the guidance. Apparently it is quite common for employers to tax it through payroll and put it on a p11.

Comment

You should not deduct this from the P60 figure. The HMRC note that you have quoted relates to pay/benefits received in respect to the termination of employment.

There should be a separate box where you can enter the P11d figures from the employment - use that!

Your tax code may have been adjusted so that you have paid tax on the P11d benefits already, however the benefits do still need to be reflected on the tax return.

Hope this helps!
          Craig

Comment

That sucks - I had to do one this year because of my eye watering expenses claims and I just got the company accountant to do it with me.

Comment

Working...
            X