• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35buddy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I thought IR35 investigations were most likely to be triggered by other tax issues so all these targetting certain groups through agencies and membership is a big red herring no? The idea that HMRC would target Hays contractors just sound ludicrous. What about targetting people on certain factors to improve chances of winning? Surely that would be much more sensible.
    Don't be ridiculous

HMRC target agencies, professional organisations, car showrooms and welsh language classes for iR35 investigations. They could be lurking anywhere !!
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      Best to be in business on your own account then, and spend time doing that rather than ridiculous conspiracy theories about targeting members on non members of an organisation or trying to place yourself in a false relationship with someone to look like a business.
      Agree wholeheartedly. I'm sure that's what the more experienced contractors do. The more junior ones less so, partly as they don't have the power to dictate terms with clients/agents (ie they take what they can get), partly naivety.

I imagine from HMRC's perspective, more experienced ones make juicier targets though (if they were to win), as they'll likely have been trading longer on a higher day rate, hence more tax at stake.

Appreciate this is all just speculation.

Comment

If I were hmrc....

Box on tax return stating delivery through a service company ticked

Low paye

Low expenses

High dividend

That would return enough results to keep hmrc busy for years.

Comment

I thought IR35 investigations were most likely to be triggered by other tax issues so all these targetting certain groups through agencies and membership is a big red herring no? The idea that HMRC would target Hays contractors just sound ludicrous. What about targetting people on certain factors to improve chances of winning? Surely that would be much more sensible.
          Au contraie.

You, and most people on here, are well briefed.

There are an ** awful ** lot of people who aren't, or who stick heads in the sand. A lot of those will be gravitating to the big agencies. I still feel it would be easy pickings!

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
            Au contraie.

You, and most people on here, are well briefed.

There are an ** awful ** lot of people who aren't, or who stick heads in the sand. A lot of those will be gravitating to the big agencies. I still feel it would be easy pickings!
            But we don't gravitate to them. We have to use whichever has the gig available. We rarely have the choice of which agency to use. To say contractors that can't be bothered to understand their responsibilites use bigger agencies is just plain wrong. Surely HMRC are not this daft.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Surely HMRC are not this daft.
              Are you sure you are cut out to be a contractor?
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                Don't be ridiculous

HMRC target agencies, professional organisations, car showrooms and welsh language classes for iR35 investigations. They could be lurking anywhere !!
                You forgot those tax-dodging lemonade stands. If HMRC ever close in on them...

Comment

But we don't gravitate to them. We have to use whichever has the gig available. We rarely have the choice of which agency to use. To say contractors that can't be bothered to understand their responsibilites use bigger agencies is just plain wrong. Surely HMRC are not this daft.
                  Sorry I could who've worded that better. By the law of averages there will be more easy pickings in one of the bigger agencies just on the grounds of a bigger population.

Don't assume daftness or otherwise with HMRC, they think differently to those of us in the commercial world, they have a different agenda not always clear at first sight.

Comment

Working...
                  X