• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do I expect too much of my Accountant?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I claim XYZ?
    Has an easy answer - yes.

Can I claim XYZ without incurring a benefit in kind?
    Potentially has a much more complicated answer
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
      There's not a massive amount I can add as I mostly agree with the above. Certainly with regulated investment advice which we're not allowed to give, and forecasts which would be outside the remit of most monthly accounting services unless you're a commercial business like a pub (and then paying more for your service anyway).

When it comes to things like expenses it can be difficult as without intimate knowledge of your business and what costs will be necessary for you to run your company it's hard to always know what you can claim. What we can do though is give you a list of common things, give you the criteria an expense has to meet in order to be allowable, score easy points by picking up obvious omissions like use of home, and ask you to call or email if you're ever unsure. A quick email saying "can I claim this?" can often be answered quickly and easily (not always, but often!)

I think a lot of the cost of a monthly service is the availability of a professional to answer your questions, but to some degree it's down to you how much you make that worth. I have clients who seem to call me nigh on every day with various questions (or sometimes just for a chat) and others who I don't think I've ever spoken to and we simply prepare the accounts and returns for.

As NLUK says you're also paying someone else to keep on top of legislation for you, and to sit on the phone to HMRC to sort out small issues that would otherwise waste your time. Then there's the software that make iXbrl and RTI a lot easier than the terrible HMRC online options that you may otherwise have to use.

All in all I think it's lot of little things, but it's also what you make of it. Bug your accountant a lot more and you may feel you get more for your money. And definitely complain about the email situation, that shouldn't be normal service. It's usual to have delays at certain times of the year, or when there are holidays/illness, but not all the time.
      I get Clare to do mine as I'm far too bloody lazy and forgetful to do it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Underscore Pt2 View Post
        I get Clare to do mine as I'm far too bloody lazy and forgetful to do it myself.
        That doesn't narrow down who you are
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their input and experiences.

On the basis of some of the experiences I've read on this thread, I've scheduled a meeting to discuss the last 12 months (in particular e-mail response times which clearly has been poor).

During the meeting, I will ask for any literature that they may be able to provide about expenses, which I may go away and digest.

I think I'll try and politely ask about the guy's workload as well as I am fairly confident he is a company director who spends almost all of his time trying to grow his business and next to none on his books (defering them to unqualified temps, judging by the names that are on my revenue returns and snooping on them on LinkedIn).

If he's a ghost when I call and e-mail him then I doubt heavily that he's finding the time to keep his skills sharp and stay on top of the legislation.

I'll offer the remainder of the financial year to demonstrate improvement, otherwise I think I'll be moving on swiftly to my next accountant.

Cheers again everyone
          Last edited by 7specialgems; 3 December 2013, 18:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
            That doesn't narrow down who you are
            Are you saying all your customers are lazy and forgetful?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I think when it comes to an accountant, you have to also consider how right they are for you. For example, I really like my accountant and have no intention of leaving, but I wouldn't recommend him to everyone.

He runs a small company and his prices are pretty damn reasonable, £76 per month, inc VAT. He often waives his fees for additional bits and pieces, and he didn't charge any extra when I took on my first full time employee. He hasn't raised his prices in the 3.5 years I've been with him come to think of it. Also, the advice he gives me is pragmatic, and safe. He has a healthy disdain of HMRC, but a healthy respect of their rules, which I think is the right balance. So if I ask him if I can do something, he tells me the reality of the situation and what the rules say. I think this is really good.

But, he does take 5 days to get back to me on most of my queries (though if I tell it's urgent I will get a quicker response), and sometimes he's unbelievably surly and curt in his responses. Almost - almost - to the point of being rude. But I'll take that, because I really value the rest of his service.

So sometimes you have to look at the whole package, and not just the type of advice you're given, but whether the advice is consistent to your attitude to risk.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Toad

I think many people have the same attitude I do when it comes to servicing my car. I could do it myself, but I'd have to do lots of research in order to get it right and then spend days of my otherwise spare time doing it. I'd rather pay someone else to do it so that I can spend my time doing nice things. Like diving. Or shopping
                ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by 7specialgems View Post

I'll offer the remainder of the financial year to demonstrate improvement, otherwise I think I'll be moving on swiftly to my next accountant.
                  Why do you think he will change for you?

If that's his business model then he will be happy to do without your business.

Remember like us he is running a business and if a customer is too difficult he can choose to get rid of them.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Working...
                    X