• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Child benefit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child benefit

Hi Everyone

My wife and I just had our first child, I was wondering if I should be/can claim anything like child benefits? Did a search and couldn't find anything

I have claimed paternity pay for 2 weeks.

Cheers

Have a look here https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit and here https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-tax-charge
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Have a look at this thread http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...uk-forums.html

Using that format you should be able to find quite a few threads that might interest you things you can do as a contractor with kids.

Might want to drop PC a note as well, he is our resident benefits expert.

Are you LTD or umbrella by the way?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dcx View Post
        Hi Everyone

My wife and I just had our first child, I was wondering if I should be/can claim anything like child benefits? Did a search and couldn't find anything

Cheers
        You will be eligible for state child benefit. Note that there are new rules effective from 7th January 2013 that require you to repay the child benefit if your income (or your higher earning partners income) exceeds £50,000. The benefit is withdraw at 1% for each £100 earned above £50,000, meaning that once your income exceeds £60,000 the benefit is withdrawn in full.

If your income exceeds £60,000 you can opt out of receiving the child benefit, however make sure you claim you entitlement to the income even if you do not receive it, the reason for this is because it affects your entitlement to state pension payments.

If you are operating your own business and intend to use a childcare provider at some point, you can claim these costs through the business up to monthly limits of £243, £124 and £97 depending on the marginal rate of tax your earned income falls into. This can often return a very good tax saving.

Thanks
        Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
          If you are operating your own business and intend to use a childcare provider at some point, you can claim these costs through the business up to monthly limits of £243, £124 and £97 depending on the marginal rate of tax your earned income falls into. This can often return a very good tax saving.
          x2 if the child's mother is a company employee or officer (e.g. co. sec).
          Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 27 November 2013, 19:21.

Comment

I used to pay my child's childminder directly from the company bank account the maximum allowed £247 or so per month. Saves taxes on your company and dividends so it's a 30% or so reduction. You can do the same with a nursery.
            Childminder or nursery needs to be registered with ofsted.

Comment

Originally posted by dcx View Post
              Hi Everyone

Cheers
              If your wife is stopping work for any length of time, then she should claim in her name, so that she gets the NI stamp.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

A slight aside from child benefit, you can get free life cover from Aviva for both you and your wife until your child's first birthday...
                Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Have a look at this thread http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...uk-forums.html

Using that format you should be able to find quite a few threads that might interest you things you can do as a contractor with kids.

Might want to drop PC a note as well, he is our resident benefits expert.

Are you LTD or umbrella by the way?

Child benefit should be claimed for, if you are over the £50,000 threshold you have bigger problems than the £20 a week you won't be getting as you are paying more out in avoidable tax than you will lose from CB

EDIT: PS Congrats to you and your missus, welcome to the club, the pay is tuplie but its the best job in the world!
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

wow, thanks everyone for the suggestions, some great information here!

i am ltd company by the way

Comment

Working...
                    X