• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying salary in one go

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    OK. For those of us who pay the most tax efficient salary to themselves (£7500 or whatever).

Reason I understand is that its because this way no tax or NI is due (although no NI is credited) which leaves just CT on any dividends.
    BUT, I guess, if for whatever reason, part way through the year you stop paying a salary, then it could end up with the situation that you don;t use your full tax allowance.

So, why not just pay yourself the whole £7500 up front at the start of the year when you can? Is there any reason you can't do this? Apart from the fact that it looks a bit dodgy I guess.
    Why don't you up the 75.k to just over the threshold so you pay some NI so you can claim more on JSA?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Why don't you up the 75.k to just over the threshold so you pay some NI so you can claim more on JSA?
      No need. The threshold where your considered to have paid NI is slightly lower than before you actually have to pay it.

i.e You need to earn minimum of £A to qualify but £B before you start paying so make sure salary is between A and B.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I think HMRC doe understand the idea of an annual pay period. So NI would be fine - for a director - using the appropriate method. Can you do it for PAYE? Don't think so, so would attract a heap of tax in the month it was paid and slow rebates or reclaim on the SATR.

Also it would need to be an accrual in the books, dependant upon when the corporate year end was of course.

RTI had problems with it, but trying to be fixed.

HM Revenue & Customs: Real Time Information and annual schemes

Comment

Reason I understand is that its because this way no tax or NI is due (although no NI is credited) which leaves just CT on any dividends.
          BUT, I guess, if for whatever reason, part way through the year you stop paying a salary, then it could end up with the situation that you don;t use your full tax allowance.
          Eh, what? Such as?

So, why not just pay yourself the whole £7500 up front at the start of the year when you can? Is there any reason you can't do this? Apart from the fact that it looks a bit dodgy I guess.
          Dodgy... The company has the money available in month 1 but can't manage to pay the salary in instalments?

lol.

Learned opinion is that advance salary effectively creates a director's loan - it's difficult to show that the company has no right of recovery. Will be interesting to see if the new regime of RTI changes this view.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Beat me to it! He can sign on 51 weeks per year.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Beat me to it! He can sign on 51 weeks per year.
              Contrib JSA only lasts 6 months fellas!
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                Learned opinion is that advance salary effectively creates a director's loan
                Surely if he was to log it as 'net salary and bonus' then NICs and PAYE tax would be due. Just like a one off bonus, no?

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                  Surely if he was to log it as 'net salary and bonus' then NICs and PAYE tax would be due. Just like a one off bonus, no?
                  My thoughts too, but the advice is often that it would be treated as a loan - maybe because for quite a few contractors maintaining a ledger is beyond them and the accountant just sorts out the mess at year end.

Comment

Working...
                  X