• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Paying salary in one go"

Collapse

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Surely if he was to log it as 'net salary and bonus' then NICs and PAYE tax would be due. Just like a one off bonus, no?
    My thoughts too, but the advice is often that it would be treated as a loan - maybe because for quite a few contractors maintaining a ledger is beyond them and the accountant just sorts out the mess at year end.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    Learned opinion is that advance salary effectively creates a director's loan
    Surely if he was to log it as 'net salary and bonus' then NICs and PAYE tax would be due. Just like a one off bonus, no?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Beat me to it! He can sign on 51 weeks per year.
    Contrib JSA only lasts 6 months fellas!

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Why don't you up the 75.k to just over the threshold so you pay some NI so you can claim more on JSA?
    Beat me to it! He can sign on 51 weeks per year.

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Reason I understand is that its because this way no tax or NI is due (although no NI is credited) which leaves just CT on any dividends.
    BUT, I guess, if for whatever reason, part way through the year you stop paying a salary, then it could end up with the situation that you don;t use your full tax allowance.
    Eh, what? Such as?

So, why not just pay yourself the whole £7500 up front at the start of the year when you can? Is there any reason you can't do this? Apart from the fact that it looks a bit dodgy I guess.
    Dodgy... The company has the money available in month 1 but can't manage to pay the salary in instalments?

lol.

Learned opinion is that advance salary effectively creates a director's loan - it's difficult to show that the company has no right of recovery. Will be interesting to see if the new regime of RTI changes this view.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    I think HMRC doe understand the idea of an annual pay period. So NI would be fine - for a director - using the appropriate method. Can you do it for PAYE? Don't think so, so would attract a heap of tax in the month it was paid and slow rebates or reclaim on the SATR.

Also it would need to be an accrual in the books, dependant upon when the corporate year end was of course.

RTI had problems with it, but trying to be fixed.

HM Revenue & Customs: Real Time Information and annual schemes

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Why don't you up the 75.k to just over the threshold so you pay some NI so you can claim more on JSA?
    No need. The threshold where your considered to have paid NI is slightly lower than before you actually have to pay it.

i.e You need to earn minimum of £A to qualify but £B before you start paying so make sure salary is between A and B.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    OK. For those of us who pay the most tax efficient salary to themselves (£7500 or whatever).

Reason I understand is that its because this way no tax or NI is due (although no NI is credited) which leaves just CT on any dividends.
    BUT, I guess, if for whatever reason, part way through the year you stop paying a salary, then it could end up with the situation that you don;t use your full tax allowance.

So, why not just pay yourself the whole £7500 up front at the start of the year when you can? Is there any reason you can't do this? Apart from the fact that it looks a bit dodgy I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Craig at Nixon Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    The salary is spread over 12 months so as not to incur any NI or tax. You could have the whole amount due in month 1 but then you'd have an NI liability and a tax liability. I think there have been threads about this before and paying in arrears, so paying the whole lot in month 12 as you'd then have a whole year's worth of allowances to play with. It was also an RTI solution used by some people I believe.
    Here you go...
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-yearly-2.html

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Sure I read somewhere that salary does not have to paid in equal installments. Its just normally done this way.
    The salary is spread over 12 months so as not to incur any NI or tax. You could have the whole amount due in month 1 but then you'd have an NI liability and a tax liability. I think there have been threads about this before and paying in arrears, so paying the whole lot in month 12 as you'd then have a whole year's worth of allowances to play with. It was also an RTI solution used by some people I believe.

Leave a comment:

• GazCol
    replied
    LOL. And I even posted in this thread. Which is why I remembered it!
    I refer back to my post above!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    LOL. And I even posted in this thread. Which is why I remembered it!

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Fill yer boots:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...y-advance.html

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    Because it would create a loan to you as it's due in equal instalments over the whole year, with the associated benefit in kind and s455 implications of a loan over £5k.

When the loan limit increases to £10k you'd avoid the BIK, but the s455 still needs to be considered.
    Sure I read somewhere that salary does not have to paid in equal installments. Its just normally done this way.

Leave a comment:

• GazCol
    replied
    OK. For those of us who pay the most tax efficient salary to themselves (£7500 or whatever).

Is this a serious question?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X