• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate increase after 3-4mths?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rate increase after 3-4mths?

Anyone tried for a rate increase after first 3-4mth period with a client and if so what justification did you give?

I'm tempted to try after my initial 4mths....its a large blue chip client, agency talked me down £10/day to sign, my travel costs will increase when client relocates soon.

Don't want to annoy client, but business is business.

Originally posted by MonkeyWorld View Post
    Anyone tried for a rate increase after first 3-4mth period with a client and if so what justification did you give?

I'm tempted to try after my initial 4mths....its a large blue chip client, agency talked me down £10/day to sign, my travel costs will increase when client relocates soon.

Don't want to annoy client, but business is business.
    Standard answer(s) - what have you done to warrant an increase in your charges? How much have you saved your client in overall improved productivity? What are you now doing over and above what you were hired to deliver?

I'm guessing not much. So why do you think you deserve a raise? Your costs aren't the client's problem, and he's already paying you to do the best job you can.

You can talk to the agent about redistributing your share of their charges since they have now recovered the costs of putting you there. But the likely outcome of demanding a rise from the client on renewal just for being there is likely to be no more contract.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Don't forget to search the board for older posts on this topic, it has been discussed plenty of times. I recall the main CUK site has some articles too.

Re-negotiating at renewal time is a popular one. In my own experience the only way I've secured higher rates is to move on and set it correctly when starting the next contract. I believe raising rates part way through a contract is taking the mick unless the client or agent has already stated they'd be willing to consider after a period of time.

Comment

Also claiming you know their systems and are skilled in their process so adding extra value won't work either. That is why you are there. They would just see that as you holding them to ransom now you are on site so won't go down well.

EDIT : You were expecting to negotiate a rise at renewal time weren't you. Please tell me you weren't expecting to try this on mid contract?
        Last edited by northernladuk; 12 October 2013, 16:24.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I read "initial 4 months" so hope he means at the end of his contract and at renewal, if you ask for a raise be prepared to walk as if you don't you will never get one in the future as they know you are just bluffing, but then again if you don't ask you never get
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Standard answer(s) - what have you done to warrant an increase in your charges? How much have you saved your client in overall improved productivity? What are you now doing over and above what you were hired to deliver?

I'm guessing not much. So why do you think you deserve a raise? Your costs aren't the client's problem, and he's already paying you to do the best job you can.

You can talk to the agent about redistributing your share of their charges since they have now recovered the costs of putting you there. But the likely outcome of demanding a rise from the client on renewal just for being there is likely to be no more contract.
            If the client is relocating and that was putting my costs up, I would look to increase my rate accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              If the client is relocating and that was putting my costs up, I would look to increase my rate accordingly.
              Except I doubt they decided to relocate on less than three months notice...

Also the OP is concerned about £10 a day. I may be wrong but that doesn't imply he has a lot of seniority to make demands with...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thanks all, yeah it'd be at renewal time. I've 20+ years dev + architecture experience in my skill area, so reasonably senior, but yes a few others above me in the project/team pecking order.
                I wouldn't normally put in a request at this stage, but feeling pretty confident about my skills/experience/ benefit to clients these days and feel there's still perhaps a bit more potential scope for rate movement - maybe £25/day

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyWorld View Post
                  Thanks all, yeah it'd be at renewal time. I've 20+ years dev + architecture experience in my skill area, so reasonably senior, but yes a few others above me in the project/team pecking order.
                  I wouldn't normally put in a request at this stage, but feeling pretty confident about my skills/experience/ benefit to clients these days and feel there's still perhaps a bit more potential scope for rate movement - maybe £25/day
                  Yeah right. Except they are paying you already for those years of experience. What is the value add that you are now bringing to the party? If nothing then all you can do is threaten to leave.

By all means try it. But be very clear about how the client views the engagement.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Yeah right. Except they are paying you already for those years of experience. What is the value add that you are now bringing to the party? If nothing then all you can do is threaten to leave.

By all means try it. But be very clear about how the client views the engagement.

Cheers, agree for the most part, but market rates change and maybe you under sell yourself initially/ or take a cut to get the gig.... at that point I think there's other factors in play in addition to your v.valid point about, 'value add'.

So most of you guys wait 12mths or until you can quantify the value add before you request a rare rise?

Comment

Working...
                    X