• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pay Salary Yearly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    Can I pay my annual salary for the 2014/15 year in advance on the 6th April 2014 or does it have to be in arrears on the 5th April 2015?

Are there other good reasons to hold off paying a salary till the end of the tax year (so you can reduce the salary slightly if you have received some BIK during the year etc)?
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
      Can I pay my annual salary for the 2014/15 year in advance on the 6th April 2014 or does it have to be in arrears on the 5th April 2015?
      If you paid a full year's salary in month 1 of the tax year then you will be taxed at source quite a bit as you will only get 1/12 of your tax allowances at that point. If you pay it at the end of the year then you will get 12/12 of the tax allowances and so (assuming you are on a standard tax code) you will not incur any tax on the salary.

Regardless of how you do it, it all works out in the end because you will complete a self-assessment after the end of the tax year but it is inconvenient to pay it then claim it back etc.

Hope this helps!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
        Hope this helps
        It does indeed, thank you for that explanation.

I think I will stick with the monthly salary payments rather than waiting until the end of the year to draw the money...
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Could someone who applied for annual PAYE scheme confirm is it possible to apply online?

I can not find such link on HMRC site.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post

Are there other good reasons to hold off paying a salary till the end of the tax year (so you can reduce the salary slightly if you have received some BIK during the year etc)?
            I can imagine there is a benefit to be had paying it in arrears if there is uncertainity of not becoming a perm - it may be beneficial to 'save' your personal allowance for your perm job and reduce how much you could be in the 40% income tax bracket. Just a thought although it could quite possibly be incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by enteruk View Post
              Could someone who applied for annual PAYE scheme confirm is it possible to apply online?

I can not find such link on HMRC site.
              PAYE registration is online but you need to telephone the helpline to have the company put on the annual scheme.

Comment

Thanks, that helps.

Comment

It would be a pre-payment, not an accrual since the work hasn't been done yet.

If it were paid at the end of the year after the work had been done, then you could treat it as an accrual if you are doing monthly/quarterly accounts.

Comment

Working...
                  X