• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Real Risk of IR35 HMRC Investigation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    And how does HMRC know that you have had your contracts reviewed, have insurance, PCG membership, etc?

I imagine there are much easier ways to detect likely targets from a simple DB query looking for warning signs.
    The initial contact prior to investigation being declared. I've taken it for granted that the targets would be found using, as you say, a straight-forward DB query. Following that I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to then investigate or not is made following that initial contact.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      ... or whatever the current flavour is
      The latest flavour is 'Corporate (or Corporation) Tax Planning'.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

in the long run, if it looks to good to be true, it probably is...

Looking at the overall proportion of GDP in government expenditure, which AFAIR is around mid 40s, any effective marginal tax rate less than that is a win. Anything under 20%? Just to good to be true.
        Last edited by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax; 17 August 2013, 11:59. Reason: can't spell

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
          in the long run, if it looks to good to be true, it probably is...

Looking at the overall proportion of GDP in government expenditure, which AFAIR is around mid 40s, any effective marginal tax ate less than that is a win. Anything under 20%? ust to good to be true.
          HMRC Tax Avoidance advice in case anyone is tempted.

HM Revenue & Customs: Tempted by Tax Avoidance?
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
          X