• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blackberry on the cheap

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackberry on the cheap

A contractor client of mine has use of a Blackberry provided by the company she provides services to, for no charge, including all calls/rental etc .

Does anyone have experience of this being challenged by HMRC for IR35 purposes?

My point being that as an employee, this might be ok - perhaps it might be caught under BIK rules, if there is private use , but as a contractor ???

all comments welcome

Smells like IR35 to me...

Wouldn't be a deciding factor but certainly points towards it.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
      Smells like IR35 to me...

Wouldn't be a deciding factor but certainly points towards it.

Craig
      Thanks for the quick response, Craig. I have suggested she reviews this option carefully when she renews.

Comment

Do they give one to all their suppliers?

If it was just for exceptional circumstances (eg. you're on call this week, so here's the on-call phone) then I wouldn't see it as an issue. If it's just for them to use routinely, then that's for permies.

Ridiculous idea to accept it from the client to save a tenner a month.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

There are reasons a client would want to do this, especially with a Blackberry.

If they want proper control of voice and emails concerning company business then a corporate managed device is the way to do it. Depending on the Sector (Govt./Defence/Security etc) then you aren't going to allow use of personal devices for dealing with sensitive information and you are going to want to be able to track calls etc.

Of course this doesn't stop someone using their personal device to do that, but they are less likely to if they have a corporate device for that purpose and there are consequences to breaking the rules.

In that situation IR35 doesn't really apply as it is a condition of the contract that would apply to anyone. Same as having to use a client co. laptop.
          Last edited by DaveB; 19 July 2013, 19:30.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Customer kit is a pretty small IR35 flag IMO and may tip the favour in a marginal case but isn't something to get your knickers in a twist about. You have to use a client laptop, sit on a client chair and use a client desk, taking the phone as well is hardly going to put you inside. If HMRC investigate and accept those items but try to nail you to the wall over a phone they must have a pretty piss poor case.

If it can be proved that there was a choice then that is enough. Why wear your phone out when the client lets you use theirs seems like a business decision that only suppliers/contractors can make as well. Permies don't get that choice.

Enough theory and back reality though...

^^ This.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Do they give one to all their suppliers?

If it was just for exceptional circumstances (eg. you're on call this week, so here's the on-call phone) then I wouldn't see it as an issue. If it's just for them to use routinely, then that's for permies.

My understanding is that employees doing the sort of work that my client does, also get them as a freebie.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Customer kit is a pretty small IR35 flag IMO and may tip the favour in a marginal case but isn't something to get your knickers in a twist about. You have to use a client laptop, sit on a client chair and use a client desk, taking the phone as well is hardly going to put you inside. If HMRC investigate and accept those items but try to nail you to the wall over a phone they must have a pretty piss poor case.

If it can be proved that there was a choice then that is enough. Why wear your phone out when the client lets you use theirs seems like a business decision that only suppliers/contractors can make as well. Permies don't get that choice.

Enough theory and back reality though...

^^ This.
                This makes a lot of sense to me, but I think that the costs pm will be more than a tenner
                as I say, I have advised her to check this out when she next reviews her contract. I think the motto is
                "contractor beware!"

Comment

Originally posted by contractorsaccountant0704 View Post
                  This makes a lot of sense to me, but I think that the costs pm will be more than a tenner
                  I pay a tenner a month for my business tariff, with everything I need and more.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                  X