• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company cars - seems to be a new rule in HMRC 480 since 2013

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by legal View Post
    So the company pays for maintenance? Is this correct?
    Remember at the end of the day it is only 20% discounted. Comes out of your pocket at the end.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Remember at the end of the day it is only 20% discounted. Comes out of your pocket at the end.
      Yes agree it comes out of my own pocket at the end but the money would have had to be paid anyway if the car needs fixing / repairs / servicing and the discount for HRT payers is higher. All those tax savings add up as cars are not cheap to maintain.

Just to bring home the point today I forked out £450 for new front brake disc/pads, renew brake fluid and one rear light for the wife's car - this was money that was net of HRT.
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
        If I re-imburse the company for private use of the car of course I am using money that has been taxed but if I put £2000 back into the company on £2000 worth of BIK I am saving Employer's NI (£276) plus Employee's NI (£40) plus 40% tax (£800) which totals £1116. If I try to take this out of the company again as divis at higher rate I pay effectively £800 tax thus saving £316.

Is that correct?
        The only way to work out if the car is good value is to work out if the BIK charge is more or less than the car would cost you per year to run including depreciation etc. What care were you thinking, what's it going to cost?

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          The only way to work out if the car is good value is to work out if the BIK charge is more or less than the car would cost you per year to run including depreciation etc. What care were you thinking, what's it going to cost?
          Well its not just what car its how old - which affects depreciation and repair costs and the balance of private vs company mileage.

Historically with private cars I have never bought from new, at best 1 year old but sometimes 3 years old and kept the car for at least 6 to 10 years which for me has minimised depreciation which is often the single biggest cost as I have bought cars for cash. I can't do that now as I have large debts so finance costs have to be counted as well as servicing, repairs, maintenance, car tax, MOT.

You are right I have to do the calculations for my situation to compare against predicted overall BIK - I will not know the true balance of private vs company mileage until the end of the year. So what car I buy will be a complex determination of all the factors and costs involved ;-)

The point of this thread actually was to find out if anyone was already following the new rule and re-imbursing the LtdCo for private use and how they were calculating how much to re-imburse. Seems that nobody is doing it, so I will take advice from an accountant on this question when I have appointed one.

Comment

Buying an old car to minimise depreciation in your case won't be helpful. You need a car with high depreciation to offset against the corporation tax to make having the car a benefit to yourself.

Otherwise you'll end up paying BIK on a high cost (new list price) but the actual cash money you'll save will be minimal as the majority of the car is already depreciated.

Comment

Buying an old car to minimise depreciation in your case won't be helpful. You need a car with high depreciation to offset against the corporation tax to make having the car a benefit to yourself.

Otherwise you'll end up paying BIK on a high cost (new list price) but the actual cash money you'll save will be minimal as the majority of the car is already depreciated.
              That's ok I can sell the car really cheap from company to myself at disposal time ;-)

Comment

I'm not sure what you'd hope to gain.

You get a BIK of £2k so you pay £2k back to your company to cancel out the BIK charge?
                It doesn't say that ?

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                  That's ok I can sell the car really cheap from company to myself at disposal time ;-)
                  You mean at market value else it would also attract a BIK charge

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                    It doesn't say that ?
                    Is that a question or a statement?

Comment

You mean at market value else it would also attract a BIK charge
                      sure glasses guide trade price will do fine

Comment

Working...
                      X