• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Company cars - seems to be a new rule in HMRC 480 since 2013"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    Well I posted this to tap into the experience of people who might have gone down this path and it seems that nobody has that wants to talk about it.
    IMHO.
    Plenty of people wanted to talk about it. They said it isn't worth it. The fact no one has any experience really is the answer. If this was a clean cut example to save money we would all be doing it so the silence speaks volumes.. but you have obviously decided to ignore that advice and are convinced it is worth it... so go fill your boots.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    There are a couple of posters in the past who have had company cars through their companies. Their roles involved using the car during the day to get to many different sites including in middle of fields.

In addition instead of asking loads of questions on here they bothered to go and talk to an accountant who they paid.
    Which is what I am doing now as part of setting up Ltd Co thanks!

My only intention on posting here was to see if anyone was re-imbursing private mileage to reduce BIK.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Well I posted this to tap into the experience of people who might have gone down this path and it seems that nobody has that wants to talk about it.
    There are a couple of posters in the past who have had company cars through their companies. Their roles involved using the car during the day to get to many different sites including in middle of fields.

In addition instead of asking loads of questions on here they bothered to go and talk to an accountant who they paid.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I am sure it won't when HMRC come to inspect.

Looks like you have this in your head and despite all the advice you still insist on trying to rob your company blind. This isn't the advice we give on here so if you are so sure about it just go and do it.

Besides, lots of companies use glasses guide trade price for disposal - I have seen it happen in companies I have worked for so I don't think HMRC will be interested really. Even if I didn't buy the vehicle myself from the Ltd co if I sell to a dealer they will not pay more than glasses trade price.

So the company is not going to be robbed in fact by not getting a high depreciation car I am balancing mine and the company's interests.

IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    sure glasses guide trade price will do fine
    I am sure it won't when HMRC come to inspect.

Looks like you have this in your head and despite all the advice you still insist on trying to rob your company blind. This isn't the advice we give on here so if you are so sure about it just go and do it.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    You mean at market value else it would also attract a BIK charge
    sure glasses guide trade price will do fine

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by Boo View Post
    It doesn't say that ?
    Is that a question or a statement?

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    That's ok I can sell the car really cheap from company to myself at disposal time ;-)
    You mean at market value else it would also attract a BIK charge

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    I'm not sure what you'd hope to gain.

You get a BIK of £2k so you pay £2k back to your company to cancel out the BIK charge?
    It doesn't say that ?

Boo

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Buying an old car to minimise depreciation in your case won't be helpful. You need a car with high depreciation to offset against the corporation tax to make having the car a benefit to yourself.

Otherwise you'll end up paying BIK on a high cost (new list price) but the actual cash money you'll save will be minimal as the majority of the car is already depreciated.
    That's ok I can sell the car really cheap from company to myself at disposal time ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Buying an old car to minimise depreciation in your case won't be helpful. You need a car with high depreciation to offset against the corporation tax to make having the car a benefit to yourself.

Otherwise you'll end up paying BIK on a high cost (new list price) but the actual cash money you'll save will be minimal as the majority of the car is already depreciated.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    The only way to work out if the car is good value is to work out if the BIK charge is more or less than the car would cost you per year to run including depreciation etc. What care were you thinking, what's it going to cost?
    Well its not just what car its how old - which affects depreciation and repair costs and the balance of private vs company mileage.

Historically with private cars I have never bought from new, at best 1 year old but sometimes 3 years old and kept the car for at least 6 to 10 years which for me has minimised depreciation which is often the single biggest cost as I have bought cars for cash. I can't do that now as I have large debts so finance costs have to be counted as well as servicing, repairs, maintenance, car tax, MOT.

You are right I have to do the calculations for my situation to compare against predicted overall BIK - I will not know the true balance of private vs company mileage until the end of the year. So what car I buy will be a complex determination of all the factors and costs involved ;-)

The point of this thread actually was to find out if anyone was already following the new rule and re-imbursing the LtdCo for private use and how they were calculating how much to re-imburse. Seems that nobody is doing it, so I will take advice from an accountant on this question when I have appointed one.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    If I re-imburse the company for private use of the car of course I am using money that has been taxed but if I put £2000 back into the company on £2000 worth of BIK I am saving Employer's NI (£276) plus Employee's NI (£40) plus 40% tax (£800) which totals £1116. If I try to take this out of the company again as divis at higher rate I pay effectively £800 tax thus saving £316.

Is that correct?
    The only way to work out if the car is good value is to work out if the BIK charge is more or less than the car would cost you per year to run including depreciation etc. What care were you thinking, what's it going to cost?

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Remember at the end of the day it is only 20% discounted. Comes out of your pocket at the end.
    Yes agree it comes out of my own pocket at the end but the money would have had to be paid anyway if the car needs fixing / repairs / servicing and the discount for HRT payers is higher. All those tax savings add up as cars are not cheap to maintain.

Just to bring home the point today I forked out £450 for new front brake disc/pads, renew brake fluid and one rear light for the wife's car - this was money that was net of HRT.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by legal View Post
    So the company pays for maintenance? Is this correct?
    Remember at the end of the day it is only 20% discounted. Comes out of your pocket at the end.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X