• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help! BFCA accountants not completing year end tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! BFCA accountants not completing year end tax

Hi everyone,

I am in a bit of soup from BFCA Accountants and am looking for advice on taking them to the Court. I had engaged their services between December 2011 to Jan 2013. Around October 2012 no one would reply to any queries I sent via email. I could not get hold of anyone either via email of phone till December / Jan and hence made a decision to shift to another accountant. Now as I had been a customer they should complete my end of year accounts. After much chasing up I finally got an email from someone that they have been asked to look into my year end accounts. The deadline to file them is end of this month. Now they say that they can't find any records of my accounts which to me is serious negligence. I am quite worried that my financial data is lying in the bin for some identity thief to get hold of.

Also I am worried that HMRC may fine me for late submission of my year end accounts and payment of the Corp tax. What do you think I should do? Someone mentioned that I can complain to ICAEW however not sure how effective is that going to be and if I am fined by HMRC then not sure if that will get BFCA to pay that fine instead.

Please advice.

Thanks,
    Shakti

Hate to say it, but as the director of the company you will be ultimately responsible. HMRC may give you more time to file if you can prove a disaster, such as loss of records, but you'd have to call them to talk it through. They will be more sympathetic if you talk to them before the accounts are late. Of course you will also be highlighting the fact that you have a problem, which could cause their little ears to prick up......

What format were your records in? Did you just provide the paperwork to the accountant, or use an online system?
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

They wouldn't answer the phone?? I find that a bit hard to believe.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You'll need to check the contract - normally contained in the engagement letter - very closely.

You say you have moved accountants; in those circumstances there is no automatic presumption they should / will prepare last years accounts. It depends on the contact.

Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear.

Comment

I seem to think SJD include SA in their service except where you join part year in which they would add an extra charge. Not much and seems reasonable.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I seem to think SJD include SA in their service except where you join part year in which they would add an extra charge. Not much and seems reasonable.
            That's because the personal SA is not CT-deductible, so they need to isolate the cost.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              They wouldn't answer the phone?? I find that a bit hard to believe.
              I can believe it. I tried to get going with them when I set up the LTD and they were absolutely useless!

Comment

Around the end of last year, a group of the staff at BFCA left without notice and set up there own rival practice. They cold called all the clients and told them they have to move as BFCA had been closed down. They are being sued I believe but I did take a while for BFCA to recruit replacements and get themselves back up and running.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
                  Hi everyone,

Someone mentioned that I can complain to ICAEW however not sure how effective is that going to be and if I am fined by HMRC then not sure if that will get BFCA to pay that fine instead.
                  Given they have the ICAEW logo on their website they should be a registered member firm, so it is definitely worth making a complaint if you are not happy with the service you've had. The complaints process should be listed in their engagement letter to you anyway, but assuming it isn't
                  1 - write to someone senior at BFCA listing out all of your concerns and stating you will escalate to ICAEW if they are not resolved to your satisfaction. Give them a reasonable deadline to respond.
                  2 - once that deadline has passed then it is time to escalate to the ICAEW. Make a complaint | Complaints | Protecting the public | Act in the public interest | ICAEW

In terms of effectiveness? Well, just the threat of escalation may make the firm take your complaint more seriously, especially if its in writing.

Comment

Originally posted by SarahL2012 View Post
                    Given they have the ICAEW logo on their website they should be a registered member firm, so it is definitely worth making a complaint if you are not happy with the service you've had. The complaints process should be listed in their engagement letter to you anyway, but assuming it isn't
                    1 - write to someone senior at BFCA listing out all of your concerns and stating you will escalate to ICAEW if they are not resolved to your satisfaction. Give them a reasonable deadline to respond.
                    2 - once that deadline has passed then it is time to escalate to the ICAEW. Make a complaint | Complaints | Protecting the public | Act in the public interest | ICAEW

In terms of effectiveness? Well, just the threat of escalation may make the firm take your complaint more seriously, especially if its in writing.
                    Good advice!

Apparently bad behaviour on the part of BFCA although I would try the phone again. It is easy to leap to wrong conclusions when we feel wronged. Could be a malfunction of the phone on the day. If no reply, send email and recorded delivery letter to them and consult their professional body by phone if you can. Be gentle and business-like before giving vent to your emotions. You need ICAEW on your side....not registering you as a rude and unreasonable individual.
                    Last edited by Taita; 2 July 2013, 14:24.

Comment

Working...
                    X