• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 month rule - different ends of London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very true and I think claiming it to force the test is an acceptable situation. Throwing money away just because you are not sure isn't. Possession is 9/10ths and all that. I think the fact something like this has never been tested is really the proof in the pudding.

Not sure whether this discussion is getting tiring for you but will play devils advocate on your simple view on this for a bit of food for thought.

My client is changing. Ok... nothing arguable (or relevant) here. The rule is about location not client.
    My workplace is changing. - Not significantly. 6 miles will work in their favour
    My old route to London would be too lengthy and expensive to make sense for the new location. - Routes to clients isn't HMRC's problem so won't factor I don't think.
    My new route is different from the moment I walk out the door. - Not significantly in the greater scheme of things. Remember they deal with people who commute the length of the country and even abroad. They just won't agree.
    My new journey is significantly cheaper. - I am sorry... I just don't see £240 a month as significant in the greater scheme of things. Argue as you wish, an external organisation will simply not agree.

If you don't agree with my comments then you go for it with a clean conscience.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Very true and I think claiming it to force the test is an acceptable situation. Throwing money away just because you are not sure isn't. Possession is 9/10ths and all that. I think the fact something like this has never been tested is really the proof in the pudding.

Not sure whether this discussion is getting tiring for you but will play devils advocate on your simple view on this for a bit of food for thought.

My client is changing. Ok... nothing arguable (or relevant) here. The rule is about location not client.
      My workplace is changing. - Not significantly. 6 miles will work in their favour
      My old route to London would be too lengthy and expensive to make sense for the new location. - Routes to clients isn't HMRC's problem so won't factor I don't think.
      My new route is different from the moment I walk out the door. - Not significantly in the greater scheme of things. Remember they deal with people who commute the length of the country and even abroad. They just won't agree.
      My new journey is significantly cheaper. - I am sorry... I just don't see £240 a month as significant in the greater scheme of things. Argue as you wish, an external organisation will simply not agree.

If you don't agree with my comments then you go for it with a clean conscience.
      I don't agree with your comments.

As for difference in cost:

The cost my current way is £830 + £100 parking + 250 miles per month
      The cost the new way is £690 per month
      The 250 miles per month works out about £100 per month. In what world is £340 per month not significant?
      Last edited by Old Greg; 6 June 2013, 11:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        I don't agree with your comments.
        Then, my son, go forth and claim subsistence with aplomb!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I wonder whether if you were hit by an HMRC investigation and found wanting, would the PCG be interested in helping your argument? Would be of benefit to many contractors to have the ambiguity cleared up.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            I wonder whether if you were hit by an HMRC investigation and found wanting, would the PCG be interested in helping your argument? Would be of benefit to many contractors to have the ambiguity cleared up.
            And I for one would be delighted to go to the Supreme Court to defend my position.

Comment

And I for one would be delighted to go to the Supreme Court to defend my position.
              I'm guessing the main reason this hasn't happened to date is that it's typically low thousands of pounds in terms of travel costs claimed, hence only hundreds of pounds of tax at stake. Not something that's worth either side getting solicitors involved for.

I wonder whether a freedom of information act request could me made to find out where HMRC had challenged on this point and what the outcome was. Eg whether HMRC/taxpayer conceded completely, or whether a settlement was agreed.

Comment

Ok, you be the defense barrister and I'll be HMR&C - this could be great fun
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                  Ok, you be the defense barrister and I'll be HMR&C - this could be great fun
                  Well. I think you need to demonstrate that my new workplace is not different either because:

a) the cost of my new journey is not substantially different
                  OR
                  b) because I have artificially lowered the cost of my journey to avoid tax.

Do you accept that proposition or do you think it hangs off something else?

Comment

Well. I think you need to demonstrate that my new workplace is not different either because:

a) the cost of my new journey is not substantially different
                    OR
                    b) because I have artificially lowered the cost of my journey to avoid tax.

Do you accept that proposition or do you think it hangs off something else?
                    I think she hangs it off the tube stop example (a few more stops not adding much time). You can equally well use the bridge work example especially as 6 miles across London without a direct tube line can add 1 hour to your journey time.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      I think she hangs it off the tube stop example (a few more stops not adding much time). You can equally well use the bridge work example especially as 6 miles across London without a direct tube line can add 1 hour to your journey time.
                      But the tube stop example clearly staes no substantial difference to journey or cost of journey.

Comment

Working...
                      X