• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 month rule - different ends of London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I live fairly close to London, so perhaps not a good example, but in my case if I have to buy a different zone travelcard then my journey is substantially different.
    Last edited by Moscow Mule; 5 June 2013, 20:15.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      I live fairly close to London, so perhaps not a good example, but in my case if I have to buy a different zone travelcard then my journey is substantially different.
      And I am sure we can argue that until the cows come home. If that is substantially how do you define London to Birmingham? Epically different? or were you being sarcastic?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Actually I keep meeting more and more permies who have moved due to finding a job in a different part of London.

The ones who don't move find a new job within 18 months .....

People are happy to commute for an hour but when it goes past this if they are renting they move and if they not they find a new job.
        This rule is to help with permanent re-location, not renting. That isn't a measure of anything IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          As mudskipper says in her oh-so-sensible-female way, I could just ask, and if I reach the point where I have decided not to claim, I will ask just to see what the view is. Ta, both.
          Waste of time asking HMRC on the phone. The average person in the call centre will be less well informed than the average person here.

Also there's been cases where HMRC have told a taxpayer one thing in a phone conversation, then decided the opposite. Court agreed that HMRC shouldn't be bound by what one call centre operative might have said.

You could write to them for formal clearance. However, they probably won't reply...and if they do, it'll most likely not be in your favour (where things are grey, unsurprisingly they tend to err against the taxpayer).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            And I am sure we can argue that until the cows come home. If that is substantially how do you define London to Birmingham? Epically different? or were you being sarcastic?
            Moo.

Comment

Not at all, in the context that I live in zone 5, if I work in zone 5 then move to a gig in zone 1, that's substantially different.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                Not at all, in the context that I live in zone 5, if I work in zone 5 then move to a gig in zone 1, that's substantially different.
                Nope. You can get from zone 5 to zone 1 in less than 10 tube stops on some routes. The HMRC's example uses exactly this scenario and I bet you would be on a loser trying to argue 15 stops or a change in line.

It's all in the details and maybe hotly contested like this one is but not all scenarios. Blank statements like this simply won't work in such a complex and grey piece of legislation.

Comment

Nope. You can get from zone 5 to zone 1 in less than 10 tube stops on some routes. The HMRC's example uses exactly this scenario and I bet you would be on a loser trying to argue 15 stops or a change in line.

It's all in the details and maybe hotly contested like this one is but not all scenarios. Blank statements like this simply won't work in such a complex and grey piece of legislation.
                  And if his ticket price changes?

Comment

This rule is to help with permanent re-location, not renting. That isn't a measure of anything IMO.
                    As their rental accommodation is their only home then they have permanantly re-located. They have just done it themselves because they know they can't get any money from the government for doing this.

A lot of people in London will put up with a commute of up to an hour if the commute goes over that they move house if they are renting or find another job if they can't.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      And if his ticket price changes?
                      According to the tube site the difference between a zone 1 ticket and a zone 1-5 card is less than £800 a year so irrelevant.

I could change my 1.8D to a 2.0 petrol a car and drive the other way around the M60 and I would incur more than that and have a substantially different journey to attend site next to my old one... Does that reset the clock?

The term here is substantially. Anything in London is hardly substantial. I know when you live there you think it is. Again if Zone 1-5 at £800 more a year is substantial what do you call a move half way up the country.

I think we are losing perspective here.
                      Last edited by northernladuk; 5 June 2013, 21:23.

Comment

Working...
                      X