• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government to ban avoidance scheme users

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
    I believe this is aimed at the large professional bodies such as Price Waterhouse Coopers, KPMG etc rather than small operators, so I am confident it will not apply to most contractors.

The operators of offshore schemes are also unlikely to be affected as they are probably not trying to obtain government contracts!

I do think that it is evidence of the government's attack on aggressive tax avoidance schemes, I am sure we will see more in the Budget next month!
    Its says companies and individuals so I dont think small opertors will be exempt.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      I put a link in the public sector thread about this.

It applies (or will do) to companies and individuals.

Should imagine they'd have great difficulty getting anyone eligible to work for them unless they give some sort of amnesty!
      Thanks BB

Yep does make you wonder doesn't it - can't see there being a Starbucks franchise in Government buildings any time soon
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

The HMRC draft guidance does mention

"This new policy will apply to all central government above-threshold contracts advertised from 1 April 2013."

What the above threshold contract value is I don't know, but I seem to remember reading something somewhere about it being 2 million pounds.

Of course I won't stop some jobsworth issuing all contracts under the guidance

Comment

Originally posted by Acme Thunderer View Post

"This new policy will apply to all central government above-threshold contracts advertised from 1 April 2013."

What the above threshold contract value is I don't know, but I seem to remember reading something somewhere about it being 2 million pounds.

£130k for supplies and services
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Remember that this is a consultation document.

The target is suppliers who are deemed to have used aggressive tax avoidance schemes, the target of GAAR etc. So clearly, if a contractor has used one of these offshore schemes, they are likely to be a target, subject to minimum values.

Contractors who legitimately trade through a limited company in the normal manner, ie, basically paying a salary, usual expenses and dividends etc, will not have an issue with regards to this legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
              Remember that this is a consultation document.

The target is suppliers who are deemed to have used aggressive tax avoidance schemes, the target of GAAR etc. So clearly, if a contractor has used one of these offshore schemes, they are likely to be a target, subject to minimum values.

Contractors who legitimately trade through a limited company in the normal manner, ie, basically paying a salary, usual expenses and dividends etc, will not have an issue with regards to this legislation.
              I admire your optimism.

The next question then becomes what is an acceptable salary in these anti avoidance enlightened times!
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

So where are all the HMRC staff going to sit from now on?
                They lease most their buildings from the Mapley trust based in Bermuda.
                HMRC explains offshore property 'mess': ePolitix.com

Maybe they will have to exempt themselves temporarily so they have an an office to sit in to then make an example of themselves.

Originally posted by Acme Thunderer View Post

Last edited by ready_to_leave; 16 February 2013, 10:17.

Comment

I start to read the link

"New rules that will allow government departments to ban companies and individuals which take part in failed tax avoidance schemes from being awarded Government contracts"

And thought doesnt apply. Providing services via a ltd company and paying yourself via dividends is not a failed tax avoidance scheme.

Comment

If the GAAR makes it to Budget 2013, it will be labelled General Anti-Abuse Regulations. The target is the misuse or abuse of schemes meant for one purpose (EBTs, film investments and the like) by an articial construct aimed at avoiding tax. Most of Paerliament, except, perhaps the Shadow Economics Secretary*, have worked out that avoidance per se is not illegal, so rather than try and redraft several thousand regualtions and laws to limit it, they will create a seaparate mechanism to declare a given practice is unacceptable and you'll get done for using it.

The point is OurCo's conventional arrangements are demonstrably not artificial so won't be in scope.

*who is a poor deluded bint who asked in the House recently how many cases HMRC had taken to court over tax avoidance, only to be told that since avoidance is not illegal the total is precisely zero.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X