• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

expense - reduce tax ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

expense - reduce tax ?

Hi

I have started a limited company and just wondering Does expenses reduce tax. I have seen people claiming for many things (business purpose) but by doing so arent you reducing take home pay ? Because if you dont claim then yes i agree you pay tax but you pay only 20 % corp tax and save 80% whereas if you claim then you dont even get that 80% isnt it or am i missing something here ?

Assuming that the expenses are incurred for business use etc, then yes, the expenses will reduce the amount of corporation tax that will be payable.

As you quote, the 'saving' is in effect 20% of the cost, so it is only worth spending the money if it is something you need for the business etc.

Most items claimed cover mileage, hotels etc, smaller sums will cover things such as mobile phones, stationery etc.

It is worth claiming but only if it is something you absolutely need, and remember that the saving is in effect 20% not 100% as some may think.

Alan

Comment

Wouldn't that be great if HMRC would buy all your office equipment for you? Not sure I'd trust the computer though....

Yes, as NW mentioned, the "saving" is on the corporation tax that would've been payable had the expense not been incurred, nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by network View Post
        Hi

I have started a limited company and just wondering Does expenses reduce tax. I have seen people claiming for many things (business purpose) but by doing so arent you reducing take home pay ? Because if you dont claim then yes i agree you pay tax but you pay only 20 % corp tax and save 80% whereas if you claim then you dont even get that 80% isnt it or am i missing something here ?
        A very fundamental grasp on running your business accounts for which you are legally responsible per chance?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks NW. i thought of the same as well. People think if you claim expenses or spend more then you take home more which is incorrect because the savings is just 20% and do not spend unless you need to. (for example a friend mine brought a computer which he could have lived wihtout it also. he just brought it thinking his take home will be more which is wrong because he has spent 80% on something he did not necessarily need !!) Also to note if it is a single director then having expense would be ok because instead of paying too much tax (either as salary or dividends) you can atleast buy things and live in luxary. but i suppose if you have two directors then you can spilit the income ? (personally i would think if you are a single director, increase the salary so that you pay tax but not a lot and then take rest as dividends ?) - am i correct ?

are PAYE phones and camcorder considered by HMRC for business purpose (ofcourse it can be used for personal use also but in this case the phone would be needed for my wife to answere calls? and the camcorder is for taking photos and videos)
          Last edited by network; 3 January 2013, 08:48.

Comment

Thanks NW. i thought of the same as well. People think if you claim expenses or spend more then you take home more which is incorrect because the savings is just 20% and do not spend unless you need to. (for example a friend mine brought a computer which he could have lived wihtout it also. he just brought it thinking his take home will be more which is wrong because he has spent 80% on something he did not necessarily need !!) Also to note if it is a single director then having expense would be ok because instead of paying too much tax (either as salary or dividends) you can atleast buy things and live in luxary. but i suppose if you have two directors then you can spilit the income ? (personally i would think if you are a single director, increase the salary so that you pay tax but not a lot and then take rest as dividends ?) - am i correct ?

are PAYE phones and camcorder considered by HMRC for business purpose (ofcourse it can be used for personal use also but in this case the phone would be needed for my wife to answere calls? and the camcorder is for taking photos and videos)
            I think before you ask any more obvious* questions, a little reading wouldn't go amiss? There's a guide over there --->, an even more comprehensive one at www.pcg.org.uk and good introductions to the financial side at both Nixon Williams and SJD's websites. This is not a game, you can get into real problems by getting the basics wrong.

* I'm being deliberately polite, incidentally, so as not to uspet the mods. there is a more appropriate adjective...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thanks for being polite but would you be able to give me some help on the basics as i have been reading 100 of websites and now totally confused. and can i ask you what part of my question made you think i did not know the basics but again i am being polite as well if i am missing something can you please explain me this ?

Comment

As Mal says - some research and a good accountant would be a good idea. With regard to expenses, you need to remember that any purchase has to be wholly and exclusively for the business in order to be an allowable expense.
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

These may help -

Brochures & Guides - Nixon Williams

Business Start Up Factsheets - Nixon Williams

Online Calculators - Nixon Williams
                  "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Thanks for being polite but would you be able to give me some help on the basics as i have been reading 100 of websites and now totally confused. and can i ask you what part of my question made you think i did not know the basics but again i am being polite as well if i am missing something can you please explain me this ?
                    I just did. Ignore the 100s of websites, read the four I suggested, which have been created by people who fully understand the rules and the business of freelance contracting.

But the absolute basic algorithm is:

(total invoice value) + ( VAT saving if on FRS) - (net salary paid + PAYE/NICs) - (business expenses) - (Corp Tax)- (commitments) = (Net profit) = available dividends.

You will of course have noted that salary and business expenses are not in the same box. Why?

You ignore VAT if not on FRS. Why?

What are "commitments"?

When you can answer those questions, you will have made a start
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X