• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors entitled to unemployment benefit in Germany?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractors entitled to unemployment benefit in Germany?

Yes, it's a very silly question!

I've been freelance in Germany for a while now as a freiberufler (being legit in the german tax system).

Now the whole German chemicals operation has been given the flick...3 months notice etc. We're all out and the plant is up for sale.

As a freelancer would i be entitled to any unemployment benefit? I think not, but I have heard that some freelancers are covered in Switzerland if they get the chop. I think that's because they pay into it over there and that in Germany this would not be the same.

Any ideas anyone?

PC

Have you asked your German accountant/umbrella?

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
      Or checked any expat type forums or resources? Not sure that a UK contract site is the best place to ask for advice on German employment law but you could strike lucky.

BTW is it only me that thinks freiberufler looks like freefluffer? At least you are not taking it lying down. ok ok
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
        Waiting on an answer..."will look into it" which also means he will charge me to the nearest hour for his research. Still, if it gives me some $$ from my hard earned tax...

Yes, realise this is a UK site, but I know there are some knowledgeable people here like Mr Blasterbates...

Back to my fluff....

Comment

No you are not entitled to it unless you paid Arbeitslosengeld however I would suggest getting yourself down to the Arbeitsamt now and they will tell you what you can claim as you maybe able to claim if you paid into the UK system (possibly)
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

If you're eligible in the UK, then you might be, due to reciprocal arrangements in the EU. However, as someone has just said, why not just ask at the Arbeitsamt?

Comment

Contractors in Switzerland are entitled to unemployment benefit because they are employed on temporary contracts and pay employment insurance. Contractors in Germany don't, simply because it's so expensive in comparison. They are usually setup as self-employed freelancers with no entitlements.

If you have paid into the UK system recently you can probably claim it.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
              X