• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Registering as freelance in Germany

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registering as freelance in Germany

I might have a contract in Germany soon, don't know how long it might last but it could be a while (e.g. > 183 days. > 12 months...).

I am thinking of registering as a freelance right from the start, and I have googled a bit to see what I'd have to do. But everywhere I look says that you go to the Finanzamt for the place where you're resident, with your registration. Well, I won't have that. I won't have a fixed address in Germany (still live in UK).

Does anyone know what to do then? Do you end up not being able to work legitimately in Germay, because you don't have a home there?
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Even if you work less than 6 months and live in hotels you should register,otherwise you might find yourself on the wrong end of a criminal investigation

The 183 day tax residency rule does not exempt you from being taxed on income sourced in Germany.

That applies to any country.

First off .....get an Accountant and set up as a freelancer and register with the local tax office to get a tax number and pay your VAT once a month, at the end of the tax year submit a set of accounts. No need to form a company, register your Ltd etc. Actually it is quite simple.

If you are there only a few months you won't have much tax to pay, you won't have to worry about national insurance. You then declare that income to HMRC who may or may not tax it again.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 5 November 2012, 11:11.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Even if you work less than 6 months and live in hotels you should register,otherwise you might find yourself on the wrong end of a criminal investigation

The 183 day tax residency rule does not exempt you from being taxed on income sourced in Germany.

That applies to any country.
      Agreed, that was why I said "I am thinking of registering as a freelance right from the start".

My question is: if the registration process starts with registering your address, what happens if you don't have an address in Germany, but are still trying to pay German tax.
      Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

don't know about that. My advice would be either go and visit the local "council" and ask them; they'll be helpful I'm sure, and might be able to speak English or get a recomendation for a local accountant and get them to help you.

What about;

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1639337

He sounds like he's experienced with UK contractors.

The main thing would be clarifying the VAT before your first bill. You might be able to setup a post box at the local post office. Normally a freelancer doesn't require to setup a company he just bills in his own name. You just a need a tax code.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 5 November 2012, 11:25.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
          Agreed, that was why I said "I am thinking of registering as a freelance right from the start".

My question is: if the registration process starts with registering your address, what happens if you don't have an address in Germany, but are still trying to pay German tax.
          You're going to need some address of some sort to do this. When I first moved here I used the companies address until I had a place to live so you might get away with that. You may also need to have a German bank account which will also require an address...
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
          X