• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Personal tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal tax

Hi All,

I am new to contracting so would like your advise here for tax benefits mainly. I do have one client for which I did adhoc work for few weeks and now I am not sure how to take payment from him. If I get it directly in my personal account, what will be percentage of personal tax that I need to pay? Or are there any better modes of payments that I can take on , which you can suggest to save tax?

-M

Originally posted by Meghna Vora View Post
    Hi All,

I am new to contracting so would like your advise here for tax benefits mainly. I do have one client for which I did adhoc work for few weeks and now I am not sure how to take payment from him. If I get it directly in my personal account, what will be percentage of personal tax that I need to pay? Or are there any better modes of payments that I can take on , which you can suggest to save tax?

-M
    Contracting - Why are so few of us sole traders? :: Contractor UK

Your first contract :: Contractor UK

Financial Matters - No nonsense summary! :: Contractor UK
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You can't really change history. If you did the work personally, and that was the engagement terms, written or oral, then you will have to receive it personally.

Assuming client has not operated PAYE, then you will need to register as self employed for this income.

Longer term, you then need to think about pros and cons of:

~ remaining self employed
      ~ personal service company
      ~ umbrella

Comment

Get an accountant. Sounds like you are making a rod for your own back here and are going to get in to a lot of trouble.

Get a professional to sort it out for you. I the long run a good accountant will save you a hell of a lot more money than he costs so a good investement.

Never ceases to amaze me how people seem to forget to think about how to get paid before doing work.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 4 October 2012, 13:43.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

As the work has been done (and I assume invoiced) in your own name (rather than in the name of a seperate entity) then the client should deposit the to your bank account.

The rate of tax that you pay on these earnings is dependant upon your total taxable income for the year and therefore without knowing these details it is impossible to state a simple percentage that should be retained. It would be worth seeking the advice of an accountant as there may be expenses that can be offset against this income in order to reduce the amount of tax payable.

If this is not a one-off and you will be contracting in the future then you should perhaps evaluate the options for providing your services (ltd vs umbrella) as each have pros and cons.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Get an accountant. Sounds like you are making a rod for your own back here and are going to get in to a lot of trouble.

Get a professional to sort it out for you. I the long run a good accountant will save you a hell of a lot more money than he costs so a good investement.
            Absolutely. A good personal accountant will help you assess all your types of income throughout the coming tax year and help you to plan so that you minimise your personal tax burden!

Comment

Working...
            X