• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Backdating the dividend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backdating the dividend

Hi,

My Limited company year end was the end of May 2012. All the paperwork had already been sent to Companies House at the end of the financial year.

During the 2011/2012 financial year, I "never" paid myself an interim dividend within that period due to various reasons. So the dividend amount for the previous financial year is shown as "0" amount.

I have not sent my self assessment tax return forms for 2011/2012 to HMRC yet.

I have transferred the whole dividend amount for the current tax year (2012/2013).

Now I would like to transfer the dividend amount for the previous tax year (2011/2012) as well without paying the higher tax (%32.5). I had had enough income to cover the dividend amount for the previous year

As I said I do not want to pay myself any interim dividends during 2011/2012 year without pushing my income into the higher tax brack.

Is there any legal way of backdating the dividend amount for the previous year?

Has anyone been in a similar situation? If so, how did you address it?

Regards,

K.

Nope you can't do that.

For future reference search on here for "Directors loans".
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

... and get an accountant.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If the paperwork has gone it's too late!!!!

Comment

The word 'planning' is in the phrase 'tax planning' for a reason. Sorry it's not good news.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Nope you can't do that.

For future reference search on here for "Directors loans".
            But in the following discussion in which exactly my situation is explained, it seems that it is possible.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ssessment.html

... And I do have an accountant that did not warn me about that!

Comment

Originally posted by kembljoe View Post
              But in the following discussion in which exactly my situation is explained, it seems that it is possible.

Yes but your accounts have already been submitted, no? In the case of the link the companies figures had not been filed and so could still include the dividend declared but not taken.

Or have I misread it?

Comment

Originally posted by kembljoe View Post

Doesn't mention if he has submitted his paperwork as yet in that post, you say you have sent it. Makes a big difference.

If you have an accountant why don't you ask him?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Doesn't mention if he has submitted his paperwork as yet in that post, you say you have sent it. Makes a big difference.

The company annual accounts for the period ending 31st May 2012 have been prepared and submitted to both Companies House and HMRC.

My Self-Assessment tax return for 2011-12 is still at the draft stage...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Because like us he won't give the answer kembljoe wants.

Tell you what - kembljoe go ahead and back declare the dividend.

Just be prepared to find a new accountant who will accept you after seeing your full accounts and explain what you did to HMRC.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X