• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 month rule again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 month rule again

Here is my situation.

I have stopped commuting to London just before the 24 month rule kicks in to prevent me claiming travel expenses to London without incurring BIK. All well and good.

I now have a new contract with a base outside London, but travel to London once a week. The train ticket is paid for by the client and booked through their system. Does a BIK charge arise from this, when it is the client, not my Ltd paying for it?
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

I wouldn't have thought so based on that you are not expensing it directly
    Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
      Here is my situation.

I have stopped commuting to London just before the 24 month rule kicks in to prevent me claiming travel expenses to London without incurring BIK. All well and good.

I now have a new contract with a base outside London, but travel to London once a week. The train ticket is paid for by the client and booked through their system. Does a BIK charge arise from this, when it is the client, not my Ltd paying for it?
      The client is paying for it like your laptop, desk and other tools. They want you to travel so they pay. Can't see where there is any benefit to you. It's only subject to BIK if your company was paying and you were getting a personal benefit surely?

Definition of
      benefit in kind
      HR & Personnel
      compensation other than cash given to employee
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks. Interesting that if my Ltd was to pay for it and then invoice ClientCo rather than use ClientCo travel agent, I would have BIK to pay. Doesn't quite seem right, but maybe it is.
        The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Thanks. Interesting that if my Ltd was to pay for it and then invoice ClientCo rather than use ClientCo travel agent, I would have BIK to pay. Doesn't quite seem right, but maybe it is.
          Why would you have to pay BIK? It isn't a benefit to you. It is wholly and exclusively for business surely.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Why would you have to pay BIK? It isn't a benefit to you. It is wholly and exclusively for business surely.
            If I go to London for work from my home / Ltd address for > 24 months, wholly and exclusively for business, I can't claim it (or pay for it via Ltd) as it's > 24 months. Or have I got this wrong?

But if the client pays, then no BIK arises?

George Frederic Watts

Comment

You are trying to wind me up aren't you? You are not the Messiah, you are a very naughty boy!!

Any travel you do on behalf of the client you bill back to him via invoice or you get him to pay for you. That's it. Issue closed. There are no expenses therefore no 24 month issue, not benefit so no BIK.

I wouldn't be travelling to London on clients request and paying for it.

Waiting for your next post with bated breath
              Last edited by northernladuk; 17 September 2012, 15:53.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                You are trying to wind me up aren't you? You are not the Messiah, you are a very naughty boy!!
                No, seriously.

Scenario 1

I have a 23 month contract in London (and it's never going to be >23 months). I travel from Birmingham to London every day. MyCo pays, or I pay and claim back. All pukka

I then get a new contract with ClientCo in Birmingham. I travel to London once a week. I pay personally. MyCo invoices ClientCo. for travel (because that is in my contract). Can I claim it back from MyCo without BIK or do I fall foul of 24 month rule?

George Frederic Watts

Comment

No, seriously.

Scenario 1

I have a 23 month contract in London (and it's never going to be >23 months). I travel from Birmingham to London every day. MyCo pays, or I pay and claim back. All pukka

I then get a new contract with ClientCo in Birmingham. I travel to London once a week. I pay personally. MyCo invoices ClientCo. for travel (because that is in my contract). Can I claim it back from MyCo without BIK or do I fall foul of 24 month rule?
                  No you don't fall foul of the 24 month rule.

It's part of your services to the client which is why you are invoicing that expense.

You need to make sure you put VAT on that expense like the rest of your invoice if you are VAT registered.

If the client isn't happy about you charging VAT then they have to buy the tickets for you themselves and give them to you.

Edited: Due to the problems this has caused I suggest you check with your client if they are happy to pay the VAT or do they prefer to buy the tickets for you in advance.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    No you don't fall foul of the 24 month rule.

It's part of your services to the client which is why you are invoicing that expense.

You need to make sure you put VAT on that expense like the rest of your invoice if you are VAT registered.

If the client isn't happy about you charging VAT then they have to buy the tickets for you themselves and give them to you.

Edited: Due to the problems this has caused I suggest you check with your client if they are happy to pay the VAT or do they prefer to buy the tickets for you in advance.
                    Thanks SueEllen - that answers my question, but hypothetically...

If I finish one 23 month contract in London with ClientCo 1, and then start another in London with ClientCo 2, and my contract with ClientCo 2 is such that I invoice for travel, have I dodged the 24 month rule?

I.e. assuming an £1000 / month travel cost (£50 / day on a 20 day month), I am better off (if ClientCo 2 will agree) with a daily rate of £450 per day + using their travel booking service, than £500 per day and paying the travel personally (and not being able to reclaim it because of the BIK).

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Working...
                    X