• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 month rule again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Thanks SueEllen - that answers my question, but hypothetically...

If I finish one 23 month contract in London with ClientCo 1, and then start another in London with ClientCo 2, and my contract with ClientCo 2 is such that I invoice for travel, have I dodged the 24 month rule?

I.e. assuming an £1000 / month travel cost (£50 / day on a 20 day month), I am better off (if ClientCo 2 will agree) with a daily rate of £450 per day + using their travel booking service, than £500 per day and paying the travel personally (and not being able to reclaim it because of the BIK).
    Sorry to be pedantic (or maybe I am just being stupid here) but isn't that different to the original scenario where your new location is outside London and you just travel in when required as adhoc travel? Or are you using both locations in London to make your point clearer?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Sorry to be pedantic (or maybe I am just being stupid here) but isn't that different to the original scenario where your new location is outside London and you just travel in when required as adhoc travel? Or are you using both locations in London to make your point clearer?
      This bit is hypothetical. I am not trying to determine whether invoicing the client for travel or using their travel system removes the 24 month rule from the occasion. Which would seem very odd to me.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

This bit is hypothetical. I am not trying to determine whether invoicing the client for travel or using their travel system removes the 24 month rule from the occasion. Which would seem very odd to me.
        My first impression as that this is adhoc travel and has nothing to do with permanent or temp places of work 24 month rule is irrelevant. If I was over the 24 month rule but client required me to travel to another city for meetings I would stick that in as normal? Where are the accountants of the board when you need them
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's nothing to do with business travel, it's to do with personal tax liability. If someone pays you travel expenses personally, you have to consider the rules. If they don't - i.e. if they cover the cost themselves or YourCo recovers its costs via an invoice, and no money transfers to your personal bank account, then there cannot be a BIK.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            It's nothing to do with business travel, it's to do with personal tax liability. If someone pays you travel expenses personally, you have to consider the rules. If they don't - i.e. if they cover the cost themselves or YourCo recovers its costs via an invoice, and no money transfers to your personal bank account, then there cannot be a BIK.
            Surely it's not that simple. If myCo buys me a season ticket, I'm still subject to the 24 month rule. No money has transferred to my personal account.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Surely it's not that simple. If myCo buys me a season ticket, I'm still subject to the 24 month rule. No money has transferred to my personal account.
              It is that simple.

Any employer in the UK can pay for an employee to travel to a workplace.

However if that workplace is not a temporary workplace as defined by HMRC then the cost of that travel is a BIK and the employee is taxed for it.

If a client who is not the employer decides to pay for the travel of a worker who isn't their employee then it's a business agreement and is not subject to the same tax treatment.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                If a client who is not the employer decides to pay for the travel of a worker who isn't their employee then it's a business agreement and is not subject to the same tax treatment.
                If that's the case, what's to stop my company paying the travel for my mate who is over the 24 month rule, and his paying for mine??

Sounds like a nice way to dodge the rule to me.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  It is that simple.

Any employer in the UK can pay for an employee to travel to a workplace.

However if that workplace is not a temporary workplace as defined by HMRC then the cost of that travel is a BIK and the employee is taxed for it.

So.... if caught by 24 months, reduce your rate and get client to pay for travel?
                  The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

So.... if caught by 24 months, reduce your rate and get client to pay for travel?
                    That seems to be the implication of this thread, yes.

If you can get someone other than your employer to pay for your travel, then all bets are off, according to the knowledge in the thread. But until an accountant comments, I'd be wary.

<NLUK>Of course, you could ask your accountant and see what they say....</NLUK>
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I suggest you go and look up The Ramsay Principle.

HTH
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X