• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming for travel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming for travel

Hello,

I live in London and have to travel to my client by tube. It's cheaper to buy a monthly pass and I was wondering whether it is a legitimate expense to claim?

Given that I'll probably use the pass to get around in the evenings or the weekends, I will also be using it for personal travel a little bit.

I would like to comply with the current guidance, and am inclined to not claim this item. But I thought I'd just run it by this forum and solicit a couple of opinions?

Regards.

oyster site;http://forums.contractoruk.com/accounting-legal - Google Search

Summary of the above is get an Oyster card and you can have the usage mailed by TFL and just claim the business journeys

You are aware of the 24 month rule aren't you? Have you been working in London for more than 24 months?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 15 September 2012, 15:54.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the information. I think I'll just err on the side of caution and not claim it.

No and yes. As in, no, I'm aware of the 24 month rule, and, yes, I have been living (and working) in London for more than 24 months.

Comment

Originally posted by insomniac View Post
        No and yes. As in, no, I'm aware of the 24 month rule, and, yes, I have been living (and working) in London for more than 24 months.
        Then you can't claim it because you get caught by the 24 month rule.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

And no, you can't get around the 24 month rule by changing clients/contracts. You can only do that by working outside of London.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
            Then you can't claim it because you get caught by the 24 month rule.
            If he is aware and knows he has been in London 2 years he should know this by his own admission but i bet it is advice he choses to ignore like most do when asking for advice on here.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              And no, you can't get around the 24 month rule by changing clients/contracts. You can only do that by working outside of London.
              Nice HMRC link here
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                I thought the 24mth rule was specific to each client, not the geographical location! Oh dear, I have been claiming for weekly travel cards for the past year (accountant advised I get weeklies, since monthly implies I foresee being there for a long time apparently).

As I understand it, when you think you may exceed the 24mth rule, you should stop claiming travel expenses, so I suppose I shall have to have a word with my accountant about that. I would prefer to find a contract in Surrey next, but it will most likely be in London (maybe even an extension here in October).

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
                  I thought the 24mth rule was specific to each client, not the geographical location! Oh dear, I have been claiming for weekly travel cards for the past year (accountant advised I get weeklies, since monthly implies I foresee being there for a long time apparently).
                  And that's a load of twaddle - you can get advanced travel upto the length of the contract provided it doesn't break the 24 month rule.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post

As I understand it, when you think you may exceed the 24mth rule, you should stop claiming travel expenses, so I suppose I shall have to have a word with my accountant about that. I would prefer to find a contract in Surrey next, but it will most likely be in London (maybe even an extension here in October).
                    You have to stop claiming expenses when you KNOW you will be over 24 months, not when you actually hit it. If you take two 9 monthers taking you 18 and then get offered another 9 monther you cannot claim any expenses for the 3rd stint even if you are only 18 months.

24 month rules have been discussed to death on here so as always I would suggest you try a search.

Comment

Working...
                    X