• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

12 month Contract Belguim

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 month Contract Belguim

Hi all,

New to the forum. Been reading a lot about Belgium contracts here but still confused.

My situation is:

1. Offered 12 month contract in Belgium (possible 6month extension)
    2. My pimp is an Italian company.
    3. I am Irish and have an Irish limited company (I pay my taxes in Ireland).
    4. Pimp (Italy) will pay direct to my Irish company.
    5. Pimp (Italy) requires I register for LIMOSA and Belgium ministry of employment and work.

Obviously I dont want to pay Belgium tax.

1. What are my options when I register for LIMOSA?
    2. Can I get away with saying my center of economic interest is in Ireland and I will pay my taxes there?
    3. Can I say I am only there for less than 183 days in the 12 month period, how is this checked/in-forced?

Any advice appreciated.

Originally posted by Trotsky View Post
    Hi all,

New to the forum. Been reading a lot about Belgium contracts here but still confused.

My situation is:

1. Offered 12 month contract in Belgium (possible 6month extension)
    2. My pimp is an Italian company.
    3. I am Irish and have an Irish limited company (I pay my taxes in Ireland).
    4. Pimp (Italy) will pay direct to my Irish company.
    5. Pimp (Italy) requires I register for LIMOSA and Belgium ministry of employment and work.

Obviously I dont want to pay Belgium tax.

1. What are my options when I register for LIMOSA?
    2. Can I get away with saying my center of economic interest is in Ireland and I will pay my taxes there?
    3. Can I say I am only there for less than 183 days in the 12 month period, how is this checked/in-forced?

Any advice appreciated.
    Awaiting NLUK......

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
      Awaiting NLUK......
      LOL that is just mean. You want me to wade in and trip up here don't you. Little monkey!

Italian company, Irish national, working in Belgium... Not a clue... saying that...

Can't even believe you are considering this! This is outright fraud. If you think the tax system is complicated to understand wait till you get found out and have to try defending your actions! This will take even longer and cost you the earth when you fail.

Whether you want to pay Belgium tax or not is irrelevant. If you have to pay it you pay it. Simple as that.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks NLUK, point 3 does not sound like a good option when you put it like that!

I have been reading a bit further would it be possible for me to get 'Special Expatriate Status' as I am on a temporary assignment there?

Comment

Even if you're there for less than 183 days they'll still want tax.

The 183 days applies to worldwide income, Belgium sourced income will be taxed. You have to register with LIMOSA.

I would focus on avoiding social security.

Anyway that's my understanding I'm sure a few Belgian contractors will comment shortly.

..and beware if you pay tax in the wrong country you may end up with a double tax bill and no-one refunding anything because they claim you were negligent with your returns, expecially if you're a business.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 13 September 2012, 07:13.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

We could do with a one like per country sticky along the lines of;

Belgium - Taxed like buggery and hard to avoid it

Sweden - Heavy tax and tax resident from day one..

That sort of thing...

Comment

would be nice to know which countries in Europe to avoid when considering new contracts
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Unfortunately sounds like Belgium is one to avoid!

Pimp now putting me under pressure to sign the contract.

Comment

From my experience working here, I would say run if your rate is less than 600EUR/day. The worst part of the Belgian system is not the tax itself, although very steep, but the amount of social security that you pay on top of that. I am not sure though if with a LIMOSA, you can avoid paying SS. I have an SPRL here, so paying normal company tax.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    We could do with a one like per country sticky along the lines of;

Belgium - Taxed like buggery and hard to avoid it

Sweden - Heavy tax and tax resident from day one..

That sort of thing...
                    I'll continue...

England - Beware of IR35, you may get shafted soon, maybe not so soon, all depends really, live your life worrying or pay over the odds up front. Kinda like a protection racket.
                    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Working...
                    X